03 Sugar Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, May 11, 2004.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

How many people predicted LSU to win the National Championship game last year? Hopefully, most of us - but at what point in the season did you expect us to make it that far?? I had one friend talking about us going to the Sugar Bowl ever since the 1st UGA game. Up until they announced it that LSU was in the Sugar Bowl - I was uncertain. I didn't feel like the media had been giving LSU enough respect to put us in the Sugar Bowl for the National Championship. Of course, once we were in - I expected a great game w/ Oklahoma to be sure, but a win none the less.

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I realized that we had a very good football team after the first UGA game. At that point I felt we had a legitimate shot at the SEC Championship. Although we lost to Florida, even though we played very poorly, we were still in the game at the very end and were a few plays from winning. I personally found it remarkable that we still had a chance to win. That let me know that the team would not quit which is necessary for a team to be a champion.

3. BB

BB Founding Member

I said after the 2003 schedule was set that we had the right schedule to make a serious run - very, very similar to Ohio State the year before. The first UGA game was when I got a real glimpse into how good our defense was. I thought Corey Webster was overrated before the season started and I expected almost nothing from former WR Jack Hunt. Hey, just being honest. I was also very skeptical about Mauck's recovery. After Michigan beat Ohio State while I was in Oxford I had that feeling that all we needed to do was win out...

4. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

I knew that we had a good team after I watched the first couple of games... and then we played UGA. I remember telling some of the non-belivers (mostly aubarn and bama) before the game that we could perform against UGA. All that game did was make me feel that we had not only a good team, but an awesome team...

As far as the sugar bowl goes...Of course I believed at the time (after we beat Ole Miss and Ohio St. lost to the other UM) that we deserved to go - assuming that we won out... but I still didnt think that we had too much of a chance to actually go up until the SECCG, when I realized that the BCS rankings could put us ahead of USC....

and then what happens..
    :champs: :lsug: :champs: :lsup: :champs: :thumb:

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I certainly did not predict a LSU win at the Sugar Bowl. I will say that I was VERY concerned after our debacle in the Big 12 Championship game. I figured with the break between the two games that our coaches would fix all the problems and make sure the samething, a loss, didn't happen a second time.

Oh well, I'm just looking forward to next year now.

Sooners
    Excellent Regular Season
    POOR POOR Post Season

6. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

I think the odds were ridiculous for us winning the NC. But remember we all thought it would be 2004.

Sooners should reload pretty well this year. The question is, can they stop Darren Sproles or Cedric Benson?

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

When we beat the piggies I started thinking about the Sugar Bowl, it was so weird how all of those teams kept on losing at the end of the season after the week where none of the teams we needed to lose lost the week before. It was almost surreal and I kept pinching myself. Once we made the Sugar I felt pretty good about our chances, better than I had for all of the other big games last season except for the SEC CG.

8. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

After the first UGA game I had a hunch that winning out was a guarantee to go to the NC game. The loss to Florida made me think otherwise, and I'm surprised we made it despite that. When the time for the NC game came, I couldn't imagine any team on earth being able to penetrate our defense, and frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that OU managed to keep the score close at the end. So kudos to the Sooners for giving us a game. After all is said and done, I have to commend Ole Miss. Out of all the SEC teams, I think they deserved to beat us the most. Even more than Florida. Just my opinion, tho.

9. gotskeeters

gotskeeters Founding Member

I agree...I thought the same. We went to the Arizona game, and sitting in the stands watching that blowout, I heard several people talking about how this could be the year. They were right.

On the flip side....this year's away schedule makes it very difficult to repeat, even in the SEC. Everyone is gunning for us.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

After the Georgia game during the season, I felt really good about the team. Then came the loss to Florida. Although discouraged, it did not take long for the team to get me excited again. They really started to play well and take care of business.

I figured LSU could win the SEC West and SEC Championship game at that point but there was no way I felt they could make up the positions in the polls to make the NC game. Then the unthinkable happened, in one weekend several teams ahead of LSU lost. Soon after Ohio St. lost to Michigan.

At this point I was very anxious to see it all play out and hoping for the best! Ok so it was more than just hoping. I was praying for it, dreaming about it, and losing focus at work but hey it all worked out! :helmet: :lsup: :champs: :geaux: