19 Starters from '03 Title Team on NFL Rosters

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, May 12, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Out of 25 starters on the 2003 National Championship team, 19 are on NFL rosters, four are still playing at LSU, and 2 retired from football. I'd say that qualifies them as the most talented team in LSU history. Pretty amazing.

19 Starters from '03 Title Team on NFL Rosters
    lsusports.net

BATON ROUGE -- With 13 members from the 2005 LSU football team on NFL rosters heading into training camp later this summer, the Tigers now have 19 players who started in the 2003 BCS National Championship game against Oklahoma playing professional football.

The Tigers, who captured the 2003 BCS National Championship with their 21-14 win over the Sooners, can also claim 12 graduates among their starting lineup from that game. LSU finished the 2003 season with a 13-1 mark.

Nine starters from both the offense and defensive units are in the NFL, while the punter (Donnie Jones) is also playing professional football. Four players who started in the national championship game in 2003 are still on the LSU roster heading into the 2006 season -- running back Justin Vincent, free safety LaRon Landry, placekicker Chris Jackson and placekicker Ryan Gaudet.

Read the rest of the story

2. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

Man I love reading things like this. I don't care what anybody says that 2003 LSU team was the best team in the nation that year. I wish all those guys luck in the NFL. :crystal: :champs: :helmet:

3. tigah4life

tigah4life Freshman

Why did Lionel Turner retire? was it an injury or did he just give up the dream to play in the NFL...Well anyway,he will always live in LSU lore with that 4th down delayed blitz sack on Jason White to finish it off..Does anybody know what he is doing nowadays??

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

He did a commercial for one of the local credit unions not too long ago.

He gave up football after a couple weeks of NFL rookie camp. The comments in the paper said something to the effect that he felt it was time to try something else.

Truth be told, Nick probably had enough respect for him to give him the heads up that he wasn't going to make the team.

Who knows though?

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

was too slow so i heard.

6. www.six3.us

www.six3.us Founding Member

LT works for MMR, I see him regularly at my place of employment... as we sell industrial equipment/supplies to MMR.