2005 pre-season rankings....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerFan101, Jan 6, 2005.

1. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

Stewart Mandell has LSU at number 2 next year... :thumb:

LINK

I know that Preseason polls dont mean much... but at least we have some writers out there that respect our program :)

:lsug: :champs: 2005

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Aubarn is not in those rankings? what the heck!

3. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

no... but at least they are "right on the cup" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

... of the three teams LSU, OU, and USC there have been both

2003 Championship - LSU vs OU
    2003 Championship - OU vs USC

... LSU vs USC for the 2005 championship?

That would be a HUGE game :)

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I love how Mandel slammed himself with this:

"Considering I was so accurate in my predictions this season (thanks, Minnesota), I'm amazed anyone actually wants my opinion on such matters. But you know I'm not going to pass it up."

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Not only did he slam himself, but his #2 ranking for LSU makes absolutely no sense when coupled with this entry in his Orange Bowl blog just four days ago:

What, is he so enamored with LSU as a team that he thinks they can go to the Rose Bowl *despite* Les Miles?

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Now that Pre-Season rankings do matter, I am very happy

7. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

That's being played in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl! I'd be all over that in my purple and gold! :lsug:

8. max

max Founding Member

Preseason polls don't matter? Tell that to Auburn. It doesn't matter as long as you are in the top 2, because if more than two teams go undefeated or everyone has at least one loss. The pollsters don't like to drop their preseason picks unless they lose. Preseason rankings do matter.

9. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

No ranking. The team will boycott next season. :hihi:

10. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

JMO, but I think Mandel was attempting to promote the idea that LSU could've done better..... an opinion widely shared on this board. But the fact remains that Saban left the cupboard fully stocked with blue-chip talent. CLM won't have any excuses, that's for certain.

Regarding AU's ranking, most folks, including Mandel, see the exit of 18 seniors as an indication that Auburn won't be competitive. I think all of us, Mandel included, recognize the lack of validity that preseason polls have - especially those conducted prior to the completion of spring drills.

AU will be fine if Borges can develop a QB to backfill the departure of Jason Campbell. IMO, it will be either Brandon Cox (pure pocket passer) or Calvin Booker (athlete, cannon).... both of which require further tutelege. The good news? Most experts agree the west coast O takes about two years to fully integrate, so there may be further production that can be gained from the "system" in '05.

On the positive side, AU's D could potentially have the best front 7 in the conference and plenty of depth due to the frequent playing time they saw this season. Groves and McClover could be the best DE tandem in CFB next season, and they'll only be sophomores.

IMO, Auburn will be a top 10 team next season and the SECC will be won by either LSU, Auburn, or UT.