2015 RB Derrius Guice Commits to LSU (UPDATE: reopens recruiting to other schools)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bhelmLSU, May 31, 2014.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I belie it's "gice" (hard 'g'). Like "guise".

LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

LSU commitment reopens process
    102 minutes ago
    LSU had running back commitments from three Louisiana 2015 prospects, but that changed late Tuesday night when four-star running back Derrius Guice dropped his commitment from the Tigers.

"Want to take things slow now and make sure I know that whatever decision I make is what I truly feel," Guice said via social media. "I've decided to reopen my recruitment again!! Now who shall get my 5 official visits??"

He added a follow up post shortly after, which read "LSU is and will always be my first love! Just need to first view all my options before the final decision. Im still a tiger no doubt."

Guice announced the news on Twitter, also commenting that he will take official visits moving forward. Guice had been committed to the Tigers since May 31. He also has offers from Alabama, Texas and more.

The decommitment drops LSU back down to 14 commitments for the 2015 class.

Stay tuned to Geaux247 for more on this breaking news.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not decommitted per 247. Just reopening to enjoy the process more but still a commitment per Guice. Nothing to worry about right now.

tigerchick46 and LSUDad like this.
  5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

It was mentioned on twitter he has been classified by the Tiger staff as a "soft' commit whatever that means, but he did let Miles and Co. know of his intentions. But supposedly he's still all LSU, like @bhelmLSU said, he just wants to enjoy the process.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Unofficially . . . with a hard commitment you know more than likely the kid won't change his mind and go sign with another school. A soft commitment means you are not so confident the player will stick with you. You keep recruiting alternates for soft recruits, you may need them.

All commitments have gotten softer in recent years, especially those that commit very early.

When committed recruits start looking around, they often move on. They simply want to keep their foot in the door, . . . just in case.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Not this time. He just wants to do the tour of coeds. He'll play for LSU

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I can't help but find the timing of this a little funny, considering that Fournette just had his coming out party.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That has to be viewed as a good thing on his end. Depth will be beneifical for him and he is seeing a true freshman break into the lineup and excell. This is a recognition/taken seriously issue that he discussed with Frank Wilson.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Guice's dream season cut short
    6 hours ago
    There weren't many running backs in the country who got off to a faster start to their senior season that Catholic High standout and LSU commitment Derrius Guice, who turned out 100-yard games one after another to kickstart the Bears' season, ultimately finishing the regular season with more than 1,300 yards rushing and 16 touchdowns.

Catholic sat idle last week on bye before kicking off its' playoff run against Brother Martin in Baton Rouge on Friday night, and Guice - who is now ranked by the 247Composite as the No. 4 running back in the country - didn't take long to make his mark. Early in the first quarter, Guice fielded a 44-yard punt at the 26-yard line, broke one tackle and sprinted up the right sideline 74-yards for the touchdown return, giving the Bears the early 7-0 lead.

But that's when Brother Martin turned up the heat, dominating the next two-and-a-half quarters to take a 25-7 lead into the fourth quarter.

No matter, Catholic found life, grinding away with quick drives and timeouts to pull themselves within eight points - with the ball - with less than a minute remaining. With 48 seconds to play and the ball at the Catholic High 19-yard line, the Bears used four completions to get the ball to the Brother Martin 26-yard line with only a few seconds remaining.

With one play left, the Bears called the hook-and-ladder, which was executed perfectly by receiver Grant Segar and Guice, who caught the flip and sprinted into the end zone for the touchdown as time expired. Now down just two points, the Bears attempted a pass on the two-point conversion, and while it fell incomplete, the Crusaders were flagged for interference.

With the ball now spotted just short of the goal line, the Bears called for a running play up the middle with Guice, who was hit at the goal line and stopped short of the two-point conversion, giving Brother Martin the 25-23 win.

Guice finished the game with 69 yards rushing and a touchdown, and he added another touchdown on the 74-yard punt return.