A Premature look at your 2010 LSU Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MLUTiger, Jan 2, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It was the same thing with Russell. He came from a program that had two basic plays--"Homey go long" and "Jamarcus run the ball". These guys were men among boys in high school and were just allowed to wing it using their skills. Mastering a complex offense is not something that many quarterbacks can do in a year or two. Russell took three years to be able to start and still had problems and still does.

I think Shepard is brighter than Russell, but it still takes a while to learn the position. It's why teams try to stagger their quarterbacks and redshirt them to gain time and comfort with the playbook. On a deep team, quarterbacks won't play until they are juniors.

2. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

He could have learned one or two plays this year. I still can not believe he did not throw the ball at all.

Every time he got the ball he never handed it to Trindon, and always took off running on his own. LesCrow blew a redshirt season that they could have gotten with as little as RS got to play this season. Totally unacceptable!

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

RS did learn 2 plays, the hand off and the tuck it and run... In football terms, you'd be a minimum wage coach who's questioning someone who's raking in more a month then you'll make in a lifetime...

Miles prolly did want him in the offense, but if your OC's scheme is 3 and out and only getting 40 plays a game from scrimmage... not much you can do to work a freshman into the game.

4. SaintSlidell

Les Miles Jr, :milesmic:

The one or two plays I was talking about were pass plays. Keep up with the thread.
    Take the minimum wage and shove it up your ....... Really are you so dense that you believe that the amount of money one is paid makes them brilliant.

P.S. Miles would have never won a NC had it not been for Satan (Saban)

5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

And there it is... very good of you to out yourself as a Bammer. Knew there was an underlying root of your hatred for Miles. Bye Bye. :miles:

6. SaintSlidell

Oh yea LSU fans could not possibly think that Nick Saban was good for our program.

Thought you would have been able to pick up on the Satan reference.....it was a stretch......a very long one.

Good riddance!

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

HORSE MANURE! If your OC's scheme is 3 and out Les is the CEO with the power to override any faulty decisions by his employee.

I don;t believe that RS was not smart enough to at least learn a few plays and to run them well. In the interviews I have heard with him he seems like a pretty intelligent kid with a good attitude. He had been in the system for 6 months even before game 1. He could have been given 3 or 4 plays to be ready for in the first game and as he mastered those he could have been given a new play or two each week. By the end of the season he should have been getting 10-15 touchs per game. Even Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker didn't break a long run every time they touched the ball, but if you give a player with the kind of moves that RS has sooner or later he will bust the big one

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Look I don't disagree with with some of what you say, the only areas in which this season imo can be said to be successful is in the defense and the 9 wins. But there it is right there... in interviews you've seen or heard but you don't know this kid, Miles is with the kid almost everyday... he does know him. All i'm saying is he's probably in a better position to make these calls then you or I.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

No, I don't know him but look at this video. I know its only high school but look at the way he has the vision on the field to perfectly run behind his blocking and set it up to make his cuts at just the right time. Also look at his passies. he is no Peyton Manning or Drew Brees and he will probably never be the Tiger's full time starting QB but he is quite capable of throwing a few passes out of a wild Tiger formation. It just makes me sick that he wasn't redshirted if thats all the PT they were going to give him

YouTube - Russell Shepard Highlight Video

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Oh I agree burning his redshirt was a retarded move, but miles prolly did want him in the game plan more but gc's inabilities didn't help in that matter. Also, HS football in most aspects are a lot different than college football for most 18 year olds.