Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

A Song of Ice and Fire

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by wjray, Jul 22, 2013.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

There is no way Martin finishes these books. He is old and fat and takes years between books. I can't imagine that dude has years left. Good news is he dies before the story is finished, and it can end however the reader imagines.
  2. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Predictable? Yeah, probably. To be frank, I only started watching the HBO series because I figured there'd be boobs (and I wasn't disappointed there, that's for sure) but I'd never heard of George R.R. Martin or the Game of Thrones series. I thought it would be like Rome, just set in the Middle Ages.

Slowly the series captivated me and I resisted the urge to read the books until I saw the Red Wedding. Then I had to know if it was as powerful on the page as it was on the screen. But to get to the Red Wedding, I had to start at the beginning and I couldn't stop reading. It probably shows how little attention I actually gave to the TV series, but I had never even considered Jon as anything other than Ned's son until I got into the books.

So now I'm on a re-read of the series and a re-watch of the show and I'll probably revise my predictions even further once I've finished.

I can certainly see going further north and the Others will probably have a huge part to play. Maybe they -- and their threat -- is what ultimately reunites Westeros? I don't see Jamie dying, but who knows. I didn't see Tywin taking a bolt to the belly either.

I kinda like the Red Viper too and I can see the Inigo Montoya parallel. Cool. Thanks for the comic; that was pretty sweet.

Ok, least favorite character? It's Catelyn for me. Nothing the woman does is of any real worth and I realize many of her actions are necessary to set up the conflict at the heart of the story, but still . . . That said, big props to Michelle Fairley; she does a great job playing that cold-hearted c*unt and her Red Wedding scene gave me chills.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Only reason I think Jaime and Cersei die together is because of the coming into the world together and leaving the world together quote.

As far as my least favorite character most of them are dead, Tywin, Joffrey, but then again all my favorites are dead too.
  4. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

I can see that, and it makes sense. But I think Jamie survives because he's actually shown some real change since the beginning of the series. If he lives and she dies, maybe that'll break the hold Cersei's voodoo punanny has on him.

Joffery is a little piece of shit, no doubt. I find I can't hate him because he never really had a chance: he's an inbred little douche bag whose sense of self importance was horribly overinflated by his power hungry incestuous mother. I can pity him though; he was engaged to Margery Tyrell and apparently never got the chance to tap that ass.

Lots of folks hate Tywin, but not me. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to hang out with or work for him because he looks to be the ultimate hardass. And I certainly wouldn't have made some of the decisions he made to get the results he wanted. But I can respect his drive to protect his family.
  5. LaSalleAve

I see it a little differently, Tywin is more concerned with the name on the back of his jersey than he is with the actual well being of his children. Taking an arrow by his own son while taking a shit is a perfect ending to his bullshit.

I forgot to mention how much I despise Baelish. I hope Sansa kills him. I also want to see more of Lady Stoneheart killing off Freys. I hope she gets old Walder before he died of old age, and Roose and Ramsay Bolton as well, but I'm thinking Stannis gets them, again who knows, knowing Martin it will probably end up with all the major houses being decimated and the Targs ruling again, or the Blackfyres if Aegon is really a Blackfyre.
  6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

With the way this thing is going I think Baelish could become the kingmaker and rule from behind the throne.

And let me just say, I know he is an unsufferable asshole, but I really like Stannis.
  7. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but name on the back of his jersey is Lannister and, at least theoretically, anything that benefits him benefits his children, so long as they don't die.

I think Baelish and Varys are the only two really playing the game. It seems liks Varys has more -- and maybe more accurate -- information but Petyr has more power. If it ever comes down to outright conflict between the two, Baelish could likely field the much larger (domestic) army -- banners from the Vale, Highgarden (?) and Winterfell (if he manages to install Sansa there) while Varys will have dragons and mercenaries.
  8. LaSalleAve

If there is any sense of justice lurking inside the bulbus glob that is George RR Martin, Baelish will meet his maker at the hands of Sansa Stark.
  9. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

I get the feeling that somehow Littlefinger and Catelyn will go out together. Don't forget that he is still head over heels over her, but we still need to see how he reacts to Lady Stoneheart, and she to him.

I don't think Sansa has it in her to murder anyone (with the exception being Joffery, but that is already taken care of). She seems to be the type of person who just endures all hardships.
  10. LaSalleAve