Absence from Good Eats

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by NoLimitMD, Oct 30, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Just a mea culpa here for not contributing for the past month or so.

NLMD has been on a diet. It's been a long time coming, in order to drop 30 pounds or so. As such, I've been rolling on South Beach and let's face it, there's not a whole lot of interesting stuff to post about.

Here's the general daily rundown, and you'll see what I mean:

Breakfast: eggs and turkey bacon
    Lunch: random meat and salad or green beans or steamed cauliflower/broccoli
    Dinner: random meat and salad or green beans or steamed cauliflower/broccoli
    Snacks: Peanuts, cheese, popsicles, air

Sucks...big time. However, I think there have been some results. I inexplicably forgot to check my weight beforehand, but I'm guessing that I've dropped about 10 or 15 pounds.

The absolute WORST thing about the diet is cutting out the beer, and pretty much booze. I'm giving myself one to two nights a week for some booze (typically LSU game nights), but the aftermath is horrible. The key to hangover recovery, other than dehydration, is reestablishing sugar levels which is impossible on this diet. Good heavens, it's brutal nursing a hangover the entire day, knowing full well that the cure is in the pantry.

I'm also fiending for tex mex, jambalaya and redbeans/cornbread.

It's all good though. I'm a classic carnivore, so the diet isn't THAT painful. :hihi:

I hope to return to my classic culinary creations in the next month or two. And when that happens, the order of cooking will be:

1. Jambalaya
    2. Cornbread and red beans
    3. Clam sauce

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i don't blame you for staying away from good eats. this forum gives me major cravings. and congrats on shedding a few.

i tried south beach with limited success, but it is not something i could stay on. and when i went back to including carbs in my diet i went overboard from insanely missing them and gained all the weight back.

i did lose all the weight i gained after some health problems just by simply cutting calories. i ate whatever i wanted, just not as much of it. at one point i went through a phase of craving ice cream sandwiches. i ate one every day. but i made up the calories somewhere else and still lost weight. cheetos? love em, and they were on my diet!

i had two surgeries this year and because of spending a lot of time doing nothing but eating, sleeping, and taking pain pills, i gained 5 pounds. my most strenuous activity for a few months was surfing tf! however, at 5'7", getting up to a 125 pounds is not gonna kill me. i just haven't had the heart to start cutting back on calories again for a while to do it. i think this forum may have something to do with that! :hihi:

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I dropped a bunch of weight by just cutting my portion size in half and doubling my exercise. It was better than eating food I disliked day after day after day . . .

Diets are not my style, but it's all a matter of calories so simply eating less and moving around more works for me.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That's what I've been wondering.......after meeting you.......you have no reason to be worried about calories. :thumb:

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'll diet when I croak. The pounds are going to melt off.

1 person likes this.
  6. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Had the flu and lost 10 lbs. in a week. Would rather do it your way.

Now I've got red beans and rice and cornbread on my mind.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yea, I just had gotten into too much of a habit of eating either junk or fatty stuff. So, the best way (for me) to get a handle on that is limiting the allowable foods. I prefer South Beach since I love just about all meat and salad -- and have virtually no sweet tooth.

Exercise was only doing so much since I normally exercise anyway, yet ate enough junk to gain too much chubby.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

That's how I lost my baby weight. I ate whatever I wanted, just less of it. That's really the only way to do it.

Dieting during football season is like asking for trouble, though.

9. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I was on a pretty good routine a few months ago. Running, working out and cut my portion size way back. Then I got put back on an out of town project and it all went out the window. It's so hard to eat right when you're out every night on an expense account. I should really have the salad but then I see the ribeye go by and i can't resist and the rest is history. "So the keylime pie is your house specialty? Well I gotta try that..."

2 people like this.