Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Additional Benefits of a Career in TEACHING

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by HalloweenRun, Mar 15, 2014.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

Lots of folks bitch and moan about the low pay in teaching.

They lack the long view. There are lots of non-quantifiable benefits.

For instance, our cafeteria served up Multi-Colored Cauliflower yesterday. Oh yeah!

[​IMG]

I don't think this is what they had in mind when they said, "Live Gold, Love Purple!" But then again, it might have been!

Oh, it was served with broccoli and dog kibble pizza.

Not posted on Good Eats thread for obvious reasons.

This picture was not "staged", just asked a student to come over and let me look at the appetizing food!
    LSUDad likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Probably better for them than the fried fish sticks and French fries they fed us as kids every Friday . . with lots of ketchup. My favorite was pig-in-a-blanket on Tuesday, an efficient fat and carb delivery system . . . with lots of mustard. We didn't expect much for a quarter.
    LSUDad likes this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

I had the same Friday meal. The problem with healthy food is that the kids don't eat it, just goes in garbage can. I sat at different table on Friday so I could observe the line, make that mob, that throws their stuff away. Lot of cauliflower was trashed.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

What about those god awful peanut butter ball things they used to hand out. I'd always stick mine under the table like chewed gum because the lunch lady nazi would circle around waiting for us to clean our plates
  5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

Damn, I loved the peanut butter balls. Put that on a homemade lunchroom roll and that was just a little slice of lunchtime heaven.
    shane0911 likes this.
  6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I've been at my current school for 17 years...and...I've never, not even once, eaten in the cafeteria here.

For the past decade, I've done something extremely cheap and that requires no thought at all. Every day of the school year, I bring a bottle of water, a chunky peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread, and throw in a seasonal fruit.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Peanut butter balls must have been after my time. Spaghetti and meat sauce with Italian salad was about as good as it got for us. We got garlic bread with that instead of the standard hot roll. The chili-mac wasn't too bad, although we called it barfaroni.

The worst was probably the Salisbury Steak, a breaded greasy meat patty of mysterious origin covered with generic gravy with mashed potatoes.
  8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

Our tables back then were wooden. Long wooden picnic type tables with wooden benches. Were yalls' like that?
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

School cafeteria food sucked. When I was in school lunch only cost a quarter and at that it was overpriced. Fortunately Cokes, candy bars and chips in the vending machines that aren't allowed in the schools today were something like a nickel or a dime so I didn't go hungry
  10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

Our lunch was 20 cents. Mom would send each of us with a dollar on Monday and that would pay for the whole week. Milk was included. Extra milk at recess was 2 cents. Candy bars were a nickel at first, then went to a dime sometime during grammar school.