Advocate Article Raises Questions Re: D1A & ULL;ULM;& Tech....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by STRIPES, Aug 24, 2003.

1. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

How is is possibly for these 3 schools to have budgets so small
    yet remain viable at the D1A level? The budgets in the article are as follows:

ULL-6.4 million last year with a $10,000 PROFIT!!

ULM-5.7 million last year with a loss of only $556,000.

Tech-7.5 million last year with a loss of only $86,000.

Remember these figures include their rent-a-win money and money from the general funds of their schools. When you consider that these schools are supposedly supporting up to 16 men's and women's programs, paying administrators salaries, coaches salaries, and travel expenses for all of these programs,
    I think the figures look ridiculous. Consider that Tulane, which has very similar problems to these 3 schools, admitted to losing
    7 million dollars annually in order to remain at the D1A level and the figures look even more ridiculous. The Times Picayune stated in several articles that tulane's actual losses were actually several million dollars more than Tulane admitted. Tulane is losing more money on athletics than these 3 schools have in their budgets? I believe that there must be some very creative accounting going on at ULL, ULM, & La Tech. If the public was allowed to see the real amount of money being pissed away by these 3 schools in order for them to pretend that they are something they aren't is far larger than they want anyone to know. If Tulane is having trouble to the tune of millions of dollars lost every year with basicly the identical attendance of say ULL,
    yet Tulane loses MILLIONS and ULL posts a PROFIT?
    I say BULLSHIT!!! It may be time to have these schools audited
    because these figures sure don't add up. See link.Hmmmm? :shock: :shock: :shock:

2. T_Won

T_Won Freshman

The Miami game will do much to promote the state of Louisiana and Louisiana Tech University to a national audience. Jim Oakes said instances such as this is why Tech wants to play at the highest level in college football. You attract a better student by being associated with the best institutions.

Tech has proven it is not a pretender at the 1A level. We won a conference championship last year and have only had 5 or 6 losing seasons in our 15 years at this level. LSU has had as many or more losing seasons in that same time period.

The only reason why we lost money last year is the tremendous travel cost being in the WAC. We have to send the girls volleyball team, the baseball team, and all other non-revenue sports out to Hawaii, California, Nevada, and Idaho every year. If we can find a more regional conference, we are home free at this level.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

The WAC is set up terribly. And its a terrible conference to boot. It would be different if you guys still had New Mexico and Utah. The WAC needs to add a team fast and split the conference and add a championship game. I am sorry, but the WAC really has nothing going for it right now. A Conf Champ game would add a little flavor. Plus, the WAC needs a much better TV contract...

4. T_Won

T_Won Freshman

Our only alternative is joining the Sun Belt and we don't really want to be associated with those schools at this point.

The WAC is headed in the right direction. Everybody saw what Fresno did 2 years ago and Boise State finished #12 in the nation last year. This year, Hawaii is supposed to break onto the national scene like Boise did last year and Fresno the year before. We could possibly have 3 teams in the Top 25 by the end of the season this year.

The commissioner is trying to add 2 "eastern" schools (preferrably TCU, Tulane, or Houston) to make 2 divisions of 6 teams and have a championship game. If that can be accomplished then alot of travel problems (money problems) are solved and the conference gets even stronger. But, the problem is luring those teams away from CUSA and the WAC doesn't want to just add two other teams for the sake of adding two teams.

Alot is supposed to happen before next season and I bet CUSA, WAC, and MWC are going to look a little different very soon. I don't know how long Tech can survive in the current situation.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I hate to break it to you but you already are.

6. T_Won

T_Won Freshman

Only in Louisiana. We hope to change that perception by the locals on November 1st.

7. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Well, You "Hope" In Your Rght Hand & Crap In Your Left...

And see which one fills up first. LSU is going to expose you Goobers for the frauds y'all are. I can't wait. Oh, exactly how bad did RICE beat y'all last season? BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA!!!!
    Get real.