am I the only one who likes the new bcs formula?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

It's simple. The AP, Coaches Poll, and the combination of computer rankings each count for one-third. You don't have to worry about who beat who and who schedules who and so on. It's not perfect, but if you're going to have this BCS system this makes the most sense. Until you have a true NCAA playoff this is the best we can get.

Oh another thing I think the coaches should be able to vote for whoever they want at the end of the BCS title game. How can you tell a group of voters you can vote for whoever you want until the last game of the season.

2. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Not to be mean, but have you been up north to long with the likes of the Big 10.
    ;-)

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Yes, Ralph, you're the only one.

First off, it's not a true 33% AP, 33% coaches poll, 33% cumulative computer ranking formula. This is only true *if* both the AP and coaches polls disagree.

I would say that the final regular season AP and ESPN-USA TODAY polls will be at least in 80% agreement on teams 1-5, and over 95% agreement on the top 2. IF this is true, then the computer polls are ignored entirely.

In essense, the computers serve as a tiebreaker if one poll disagrees with the other.

There might be some redeeming value in this new system if a final BCS poll were released after the bowls---because, if the two human polls disagreed on who was #1, the computers would settle the dispute---but there ARE not formal BCS polls conducted after the regular season.

Pete Fiutak of CFN.com is right: just form a 5 or 7 person committee that watches the games all season long and, kinda like the basketball tourney selection committee, arbitrates any sort of "screwy" computer-generated results...but otherwise leaves the BCS the way it was last season.

Human polls are WAAAY too subjective, especially early in the season. One reason why LSU finished behind USC in the AP was they had the misfortune of having their early-season loss one whole week after USC's.

That's no way to determine who is #1.

4. lsuirish

lsuirish Founding Member

sorry

but it is now back to whomever loses last in the season is screwed. whether you lose early or late should be the same. the computers took care of that. most media are morons and the coaches assistants do most of the voting and oh yea i am sure it is totally unbiased.

5. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

They weren't "told" anything. They as a group voted that the Coaches Poll would declare the winner of the BCS National Championship game the National Champions.

This new system is ridiculous because it defeats the whole reason the BCS was created in the first place. To have a fair and objective system decide the National Champion.

6. Ralph_Wiggum

Until you have a playoff you'll NEVER get a fair and objective system. Trying to make the bcs fair and objective is pointless. As long as you have a BCS keep it simple stupid.

7. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

You're half right. You may never be able to make it fair, but at least before it was objective. Now it's very subjective and the media darlings will always be the teams in the National Championship.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Ralph...... I do not like it because it allows for human bias to dictate championship matchups. With this new 1/3 system, they may as well not even have the BCS portion.

This is why... The two human polls always are identical as far as the top 2-3 three teams are concerned. As long as this is the case, the two human polls have the same two teams occupying spots 1 and 2, then the BCS formula is completely irrelevant. If 2/3's agree then there ya go.

If the human polls agree then they dictate the matchup. Tell me if you like this scenario. USC and OU are ranked 1/2 preseason in both human polls and go undefeated. LSU is ranked third and goes undefeated. Michigan is ranked fourth and goes undefeated. Well the voters NEVER change the order. All four undefeated teams would end the season with the same ranking as they began it with. LSU and Michigan would have NO CHANCE to play for a championship.

Even if LSU and Michigan played 5 top 25 teams and USC and OU only played 1 top 25 team a piece.... As we saw last season, voters would NOT jump LSU over USC after the SEC championship week. Even though many even agreed taht LSU played the tougher schedule and had a right to number one. You think we'd even have controversy right now if the number two team in both human polls (which USC should have been with unbiased objective voting) missed out on the NC game?

Now...... on the off chance the two human polls disagree (it would be quite shocking) then the BCS is called in to break the tie, so to speak............

9. Ralph_Wiggum

Hmmm. I think over 11 or 12 games a lot can happen even if all four teams go undefeated. I think coaches and writers will look at schedules and the strength of conferences and so on. If UM barely beats a bad Northwestern team and beats Michigan State and Ohio State in games with questionable calls that appear to favor Michigan I think coaches and writers may take that into consideration. Let's say USC barely beats Cal. and Arizona during the season and LSU romps in a SEC schedule it will go ahead of USC in the polls.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I read through your response after posting mine. ya hit the nail on the head.

Why even have the BCS formula now. There is no point.