American Drug War

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 12, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

seems like a free speech alley topic. also i defintely agree that the drug war is insane. yet another way we idiotically are afraid of freedom. gotta let the government control everything!

3. LaSalleAve

almost put it on free speech, but i didn't because it's a movie. so martin do you think all drugs should be legalized?

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

of course.

5. LaSalleAve

finally we have found common ground.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I think we should start with weed. It's basically harmless. Not so sure about other drugs like meth. What's your argument for legalizing the harder drugs? Is it basically because it's a personal choice?

7. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I can't imagine stuff like meth being legalized. Is that the junk that destroys the outside of your body like cigarettes destroy the inside of it?

People are fine without drugs right now...there's not really any necessity to use in justifying it.

8. kedo15

kedo15 Founding Member

my argument is...you make it legal you put the drug dealers out of business.

someone wants to do coke...let em ...till their heart is content or explodes whichever comes first

our governments view is that we are such weak people that if heroin were legal tomorrow ,i would load up the family station wagon with the wife and kids and grandma and grandpa and we would be out looking for a 6 pack of heroin and the syringes to go with it.

legalize it all ,empty the prisons of non violent drug offenders and save some tax money.Let the free market determine the price ...and i bet it drops like a rock...drug dealers out of work.

police can then spend their time chaseing real criminals

9. LaSalleAve

i don't think drugs should just be sold on the shelves at wal mart, but the drug war is obviously a complete failure. Its like putting a band aid on a bullet wound. This is a "war" that can never be won. Its just a waste of taxpayers money. You lock up 1 drug dealer, ten more pop up. Really what i would like to see is the decriminalization of non violent drug offenses.
    Its easier for kids who aren't of age to get pain pills, and hard drugs than it is to get cigarettes and alcohol, which by the way kill more people every year than hard drugs do. I think drugs should be controlled, which by the way is already being done with methadone clinics.
    The whole thing with pot, really you can look at amsterdam. In amsterdam, every year, heroin use goes down, crack use is almost non existant, meth is non existant. Meth is a problem in the states, but you can make it at home with store bought products. How can that be stopped?
    It all starts with education, people should be educating kids about the dangers and non dangers of some drugs. Example, the government demonizes pot, says it is dangerous, and bad for you, well, when kids try it, they figure out the truth, then they think to themselves, hmmm, i wonder what other drugs the government and my parents have lied about, and anyone who likes to label pot as a "gateway" drug, well congrats if it is, you made it that way.
    the government says pot is bad and dangerous, yet every other commercial is for a wonder pill that helps you sleep, or wake up, or give you an erection, not to mention beer and alcohol commercials. It will probably never happen but, people shouldn't be locked up for a disease.

1 person likes this.
  10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i have no plans to start doing meth once it is legalized. do you? so why do you care? do you or i need to "justify" anything for it to be legal?

i guarantee you, if meth were legal, the death toll from it would be staggeringly less than the death toll is from obesity. and yet i have no plans to go around knocking cheeseburgers from the mouths of fatties. not my responsibility to "justify" anything.