And another thing. Jeannine Garafolo is ugly!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Feb 18, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

FROM A RETIRED MARINE OFFICER:
    MARINES & FRIENDS OF MARINES .. . LISTEN UP, PLEASE
    Mystic River , the new movie being released this Wednesday is
    starring Sean Penn and Tim Robbins who routinely spew hate speech against
    our current President, assaulting his character for doing what he is
    attempting to do with the war on terror, to protect Americans from further attack.
    [Which has been very successful so far.]
    These 2 liberal actors have sided with Saddam Hussein and Osama
    Bin Laden and against our own country, as demonstrated by Penn's going to
    Iraq prior to the war in protest of our pending attack to remove the terrorist
    regime of Saddam Hussein, saying that we have no right to attack innocent people
    and that it was the Bush administration that is starting this war. Let us not
    forget 9/11/2001 . I figure I have no way to let the liberals in Hollywood know that
    they are just actors....and not representative of mainstream America by myself.
    But if each one of us routes this note to each of your friends who support our
    troops and the administration, and make sure that they do not go to this movie.
    Encourage all you know......not to go to it. By doing this.....these actors
    won't be able to get a job. Look what it did for Alec Baldwin's career! He's a washed up
    actor that watches his mouth these days. We have 2 days until this movie starts. Let
    the boycott begin. Route this to every loyal patriotic person you
    know and stay away from this movie with these anti-American activists.
    These are 2 very outspoken hate ministers and we can make a difference.
    IT'S WHAT WE "DO" THAT COUNTS, NOT WHAT WE INTEND TO DO!
    SEMPER FI!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You know, I'll be damned if I'm going to let anybody tell me what movies to go see based on HIS politics. Marine or no marine. Garafalo or no Garafalo. I'll make up my own mind about books, TV, movies, paintings, or whatever.

I fear no art.

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Movies are not really as much about Art as they are about money and popularity.

You can make up your own mind just like others can to not spend their hard earned money on people who end up touring the country of our enemy or who "spew hate speech against our current President, assaulting his character for doing what he is attempting to do with the war on terror, to protect Americans from further attack"

There are more liberal than conservative actors in Hollywood by a far margin, but most do not use their fame and money in the same way Robbins and Penn do. I cannot remember the last time I paid to watch one of their movies. I see some reruns from time to time while flipping through the channels, but these two got put on my ignore list a long time ago. I want no part of funding, even in just an extremely small amount, their radical activities. They are extremists in every since of the word. I know Letterman is probably liberal and does not like Bush, but he still went to Iraq and visited the troops. He also said on his show something to the effect that whether you agree with us being their before hand the fact is we are there now and need to support these men and women. If I decided to never watch a movie with a liberal I would never watch movies again, but it is one thing to be liberal but respectful and another to be a radical and use your celebrity and money from being a celebrity to be disrespectful. These people hate people with view points like myself, so why would I want to pay for their "art."

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

test

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

"Well g**dammit, Hot Lips, resign your g**damn commission" - Henry Blake

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not . . . not my commission!

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Clint Eastwood, who produced and I believe, directed this movie, is about as staunch a conservative as Hollywood has. Should we
    also penalize HIM because we don't agree with the beliefs of the actors he hired? I know Clint doesn't agree with their views, either...but he's also a businessman, and he had to hire the best actors available to make his film a success. If he can look past their politics, I don't see why we shouldn't.

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

LOL!!! I love that line...especially since he uttered it with a hot nurse next to him in bed at the time. You've got to stutter a little when you say it, though.

9. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

You can. The issue was people have just as much right to not want to pad the pocket book of radicals as to not let a former marine dictate what movies they watch. If that means Clint gets hurt than so be it. Also Clint may be considered a staunch conservative on the Hollywood political spectrum, but he is middle if not left of middle on a few issues on the rest of America political spectrum.

But to also answer your question everyone has the possibility to get penalized or rewarded based on their choices regardless of how their individual standings effect things. Clint made his choice. Some might have decided not to see it based on his choices while others may have decided to see it based on his choices. Some probably would have seen it or not seen it regardless of his choice of actors. I am not going to see a movie just because it has a conservative actor or director in it no more than I would not see one because the movie has liberal actor or director. There are some who I feel have crossed the line, and I will not go see those films that have these people in them.

10. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

If I think I'm going to like a movie, I'm going to go see it.

The guy that owns a local restaurant could be a giant a-hole, but that doesn't mean the restaurant isn't good.