And to think, there were some like DownOnTheBayou

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Tygrr, Feb 8, 2010.

1. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

back a couple of years ago when he was running double reverses and losing to Tampa i'll admit i wasn't enamored with the guy and thought he got a little too cute for his own good in many situations. he also seemed to challenge a lot of losing replays.

but 2009 was about as solid as you can get. i said before that saban is in his coaching prime with bama right now, perhaps payton has learned from his mistakes and is reaching his prime now.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I looked back at the results in 2008, and I really think had the Saints gotten Gregg Williams back then (and they had their chance), the Saints would have gone 13-3 instead of 8-8.

3. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Payton was a HORRIBLE coach the last two years. Anybody with a brain could see that.

Payton even admitted that changes had to be made to get this team to the top. Obviously the defense had to get better and he literally paid Gregg Williams to do that. He also admitted that we had to be able to run the ball and be more balanced on offense. We were 6th in the league in rushing. And wow, our offense was better this year than the last two.

If Payton didn't make these changes, we would have been 7-9, 8-8 again this year. But he sacked up, swallowed his ego, and now were the champs. He did what most coach's ego won't allow them to do...admit he was wrong and a change needed to be made. If he continues this, which i'm sure he will, this won't be our first and only title.