Any Cowboys fans remember when...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by atxfan, Dec 20, 2004.

1. atxfan

atxfan Founding Member

Jimmy Johnson quit after winning two consecutive Super Bowls? Just when the Cowboys had all of the momentum in the world and looked as if they could become the dynasty of all dynasty's? To me this scenario feels about the same way. Just when everything seems to be clicking, the bottom falls out. I'm not saying that it's the end of the world and we'll never recover but it is a set back and it takes time to recover and get back to where you were and it takes time for a new coach to settle in and establish the respect and trust of the players. It just does. If Jimmy would have stayed with the Cowboys I honestly think he would have won the next two Super Bowls and possibly would have won five in a row when it was over. Instead they managed to win another in Switzer's second year but eventually the stockpiled talent dimenished and was not renewed because Switzer couldn't evaluate talent like Johnson could. My point with this post is just to say that I hope that whoever succeeds Saban is as good at recognizing, recruiting, and developing talent so that we don't have to suffer through as much of a down time and can maintain the momentum that the LSU Football program currently has.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Yes I do however Skip is NO Jerry Jones... Plus I dont recall LSU players having a coke house OR Skyler Green being arrested in silk boxers strung out on dope with a bunch of strippers..

Also I hope and pray what happened to the cowboys doesnt happen to LSU, living here in Dallas I can attest, they are piss poor and even a good coach (Parcells) cannot revive them.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Jimmy Johnson left because he couldn't stand Jerry Jones, while Saban would be leaving in good standing with Skip and others. Jones thought he could coach the team and took over many of Johnsons responsibilities when he left. Jones didn't have a clue and wrecked the team, Switzer was little more than a passenger. No coach since Johnson has had any success with Jones as an owner including the current "great" football guy. Skip needs to be really smart about the hire should Saban leave, however it turns into a crap shot regardless. Many a great coach has had no success at the next stop for many different reasons. Only time will tell but at least this time we should have a much better list to chose from.

4. atxfan

atxfan Founding Member

I know the scenario and circumstances are different (Thank GOD!) I'm just relating my overall sentiment of someone returning you to prominence and then leaving- for whatever reason. Put another way, you just don't know what will happen next regardless of credentials. I guess that was my point. Not to be negative but it's just reality. I just hope, as I know we all do, that the "recovery" is as close to seemless as possible.