Any members around Houma that marsh fish?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by offshoretrash, Jun 20, 2009.

1. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

And wouldn't mind a tag along.

I will be going to a school around the first of August and was wondering if the fishing was good that time of year. I went a couple years ago south of Golden Meadow and those trout and reds sure were some good eating.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Anything between Jan 1 - Dec 31 is usually a good time of year for fishing down here.

Just gotta hope for good weather the day you're going.

I'll see what I can do about lining up a trip.

3. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I love it when folks from other areas ask when a good time to fish in S LA is.:lol: I was watching a fishing show earlier today from somewhere up north, and they were talking about a "full 90 day fishing season every year".:nope:
    -
    There is NO bad time to fish S LA...period. You might use different techniques...fish inside in the winter, more outside in the summer, etc...but it's ALWAYS the best fishing in the world.
    -
    Can anybody tell I'm ready to go fishing???

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The only school I want to see is school of speckled trout

6. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I've caught bass all year long launching out of Bayou Black. Of course, one needs to go often to keep up with their patterns. I remember one time before Andrew when we caught 75 bass in one spot along Bluebird canal. Had to cull a lot that day.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I've only done the Bayou Black thing a couple of times. I prefer saltwater fishing, plus I live like 3 minutes from the marina at the very end of Montegut. So I've never really learned any other areas.

Fished pretty much all of the bayous and lakes in Terrebonne and Lafourche, but not often enough to actually learn my way around or where to throw the line. Never felt the need to drag my boat on a trailer for 30+ minutes when I can leave the house and have fish in the chest in half that time if I just stay down here.

8. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I'm too far away from the salt water to go with any regularity. I usually charter out of Venice when I do go. Bayou Black is a good hour and a half away from Baton Rouge but usually offers successful trips. The Atchafalaya is 30 minutes closer but I've struck out many times there.

I'll never forget one time motoring a good 30 minutes south of the Intercoastal, we were snagging some nice bass then suddenly had a run of specks and reds in the same hole. I didn't know what bait to throw, though they were all hitting topwater. That was fun.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Bayou Black is by far the best freshwater spot anywhere around here, but its about 45 min to an hour north of me. I'm too lazy to drag my boat that far. Especially considering I can be on the gulf side of Timbalier Island (not dumb enough to use my boat for that trip though) just as fast if I launch here in Montegut.

You can catch bass on the PAC wildlife reserve behind my house, but the Redfish are even more plentiful, and better fighters so I don't try for bass very often.

Also, if you head west about 2 minutes from the launch, Lake Boudreaux has been producing really well lately.
    Specs biting out in the lake itself, and redfish been tearing ass in the canals and marsh on the north side of the lake.

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Nootch, I hate you.:cry:

Signed,
    STUCK IN FRIGGIN' OKLAHOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.