Any word on Saban's new contract?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tiger_in_atl, Jan 21, 2004.

1. tiger_in_atl

tiger_in_atl Freshman

just wondering if you guys have heard anything? since all the nfl coaching rumors were squashed i haven't heard anything. i thought i remembered something about him having 30 days to sign an offer but i could be wrong on that.

2. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

Not 30 days for him to sign.

LSU has 30 days from Jan 4. to make him the highest paid coach.

3. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

That would make it Feb 4. Is that National Signing day also?

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Actually it would make it February 3rd.

5. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

He said he was staying. Most likely some minor things to be hashed out. It will most likely be announced when he does make it official.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

they are working on some incentives from what I've heard, that the base money has been agreed upon. Also, I think they had 30 days to offer him the contract with the mandatory raise.

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

There's nothing simple about negotiating contracts of this magnitude. Lots of details and fine print to be hammered out on both sides ... and many of those issues don't involve pay.

I'm hoping LSU is pushing real hard for a buyout clause. I have a problem with his current contract where he can walk away from LSU and owes nothing, but if LSU fires him, he would receive millions ... it's a great deal for Saban, but not LSU. This may be a sticking point that is prolonging the signing.

Lastly, both sides have attorneys involved who bill by the hour ... get the picture? LOL

8. Ralph_Wiggum

A buyout clause would be best. At least make it 100,000 to 250,000 to partially cover the costs of a nation-wide search. I mean that amount of money won't hurt Nick if he goes and it does protect LSU from spending money to get a replacement. And include a no-compete clause for college football for a two years if wants to leave LSU.

9. DUCKMANDIG

DUCKMANDIG Freshman

Have any of you heard anything about why Saban Turned down the Bears job?

I had heard it wa because they wouldn't give him total control, he wanted to be Head Coach and GM and they wouldn't agree to that.

10. Ralph_Wiggum

It's about time someone said that. I think it's clear that Nick has no great love for LSU, but he really, really likes LSU and this is just a great job for him. He'll stay here for awhile, but like any other job he has to look out for him.

And LSU has to look out for itself. A small buyout clause to cover the expense of replacing him isn't too much to ask.

You know I wonder if Nick's "there's no Michigan" comment was also about that fact that there's no instate rival to say "he's going to the NFL". He's got a great situation at LSU where he can annually flirt with the NFL and know that it will not hurt recruiting as much as it did when he was at MSU or if he was at Florida or Florida State.