Anybody know how to smoke a pork roast

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Big Earl, May 27, 2004.

1. Big Earl

Big Earl Founding Member

I am smoking a 6 lb pork roast this weekend and I've never done one before. Just wondering if any of you have any tips, ideas, secret recipes, etc.
    Thanks

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Use the biggest bong that you've got. But its really hard to keep it lit. :hihi:

3. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

It depends on how much time you have. It takes a while for all of the collagen and connective tissue to melt down.

I always smoke at around 200 degrees for 3-4 hours then wrap it tightly in foil and continue cooking for 6-8 hours until it's falling apart.

4. LSU85

LSU85 Freshman

One of my favorites is smoked Boston Butt. Take a 6 to 8 pounder and inject it with 2 parts sweet apple juice to one part Dale's marinade. Usually a 3 cup mixture will do fine. Rub the outside with whatever seasoning you prefer. Smoke uncovered for 4 hours, then remove it and wrap it tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil and place it back on the heat for another 4 hours. I usually try to keep the temp. around 200-225 degrees for the duration. I prefer to use pecan for smoking but mesquite or hickory will also work. Try it. Hope this helps.

5. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

I went and pickup some pecan logs today so I'm going to try this. I'll let everyone know how it comes out. Thanks for the tip... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Man is that good ... boston butt marinaded for about three days ... got to use that aluminum foil ... got to use pecan wood ... the best