Anyone know when they started calling Tiger Stadium Death Valley?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JonTheTigerFan, Oct 17, 2002.

1. JonTheTigerFan

JonTheTigerFan Founding Member

Does anyone know when they started calling it Death Valley? Clemson seems to think they have the origina Death Valley. Someone started calling their stadium that in 1948

2. SouthernGent

SouthernGent Founding Member

1947. Klimpsin stole it from yall in 1948. I haven't decided who they stole Tiger Rag from, they either stole that from yall or Auburn.

3. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Founding Member

Death Valley History

I saved this from a few years back....

Baton Rouge( Red Stick )and therefore Tiger Stadium/Death Valley were built on a friendly boundry between 2 Indian tribes, which I beleive were the Choctaw and Istrouma. The tree marking the boundary was a ceremonial butchering / sacrificial site for animals killed by the Indians. The dead animals were hung from the the tree (red stick) and 'cleaned' which is where the name 'Red (from the blood) Stick'/Baton Rouge origniates. The area was also called 'Death Valley' by some of the early settlers due the sacrifical aspects of the 'red stick'. When Tiger Stadium was nick-named Death Valley (don't know the date), the reference was both to the rabid fans and the history of the 'Red Stick' area.

So LSU's Death Valley was named so before Clemson began playing football.

case closed.

4. whaleofacock

whaleofacock Founding Member

Don't worry about it. There is only one true Death Valley and USC and LSU are playing there Satuday night. The Big Hole in Pickens county SC does not hold a candle to the Tradition or Reputation that the true Death Valley has. And believe me USC fans give clemson more greif about how they stole that name from you guys than you can imagine. Trust me yalls was the first and only Death Valley. Nuff Said.

GO COCKS!!!

5. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Wouldn't it be fun to challenge them to a winner-take-name football game? The losers (Clemson) would have to give up the nicknames Death Valley, the Tiger Mascot, Tiger rag, etc.

6. SouthernGent

SouthernGent Founding Member

I think Klimpsins original colors were Purple and Gold (like yall) but they stole the Orange from Tennessee; it must suck to have an inferiority complex like Klimpsin where they have to steal everyone elses tradition. I'm glad I'm not a Tater.

7. LSUJake

LSUJake Freshman

Ellis,

I think that was tried in 1996 when LSU met Clemson in the Peach Bowl. I am not sure about the facts but it is my understanding that Clemson would not agree to challenge. Too bad because we beat them in a defensive struggle, 10 - 7.

8. gamecocksfan

gamecocksfan Freshman

That too bad! If they were forced to give up all their stolen traditions. That hole they play in would be the Tater Bowl, they would be the "Fighting Tater Heads" and their fight song would be the theme from "Leave it to Beaver". Finally they would have a tradition they would have earned.

9. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

Tiger Rag

I may be wrong, but I think I remember hearing or reading somewhere that an LSU student arranged the Tiger Rag from an already written song. It wouldn't surprise me if they stole it, hell they rub a rock before running out on the field! That's almost as bad as Virginia Tech doing the Hokie Pokie at halftime.

10. JoshFromSC

JoshFromSC Freshman

their fight song would be "dueling banjos!"