AOL CEO: 'Obamacare Is an Additional $7.1 Million Expense For Us'

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Feb 6, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Indeed. But it's not all on AHCA. Health insurance costs have been rising steadily and unsupportably for a couple of decades. The status quo was not working.

[​IMG]

And it is because of the ridiculously high costs of medical care in America. This site is very interesting . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/26/21-graphs-that-show-americas-health-care-prices-are-ludicrous/

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I understand what the problem is. My point is that some of us, instead of having a 10% increase as has been the norm, are taking it on the chin at a much higher rate because of this bill. That's all I'm saying.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I believe you but could you go into a little more detail so that I understand your particular case better (which I've heard is somewhat common)? Was your old plan of poor quality and you were forced to improve it?

I recall someone (maybe red) mentioning on this site months ago that a significant portion of the bankruptcy cases related to medical costs were people that actually had insurance. If that's the case, then it would seem like the insurance policies should be improved and that's a good thing.

Is it correct to say that your 10% increase over the past couple of decades was actually more than a 10% effect if you also factor in the gradual decrease in quality of policies?

4. red55

The insurance business is competitive. Is no company trying to get your business by offering a better rate? If not, it might make me suspect some collusion among insurance companies to keep rates artificially high.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

My 10% increase has only been in the past couple of years since I've gotten my individual plan. before that, it was a group plan and was much higher as we had a very unhealthy group. My plan is an hdhp 5600 family deductible or 2700 per individual with no co-pays and 100% after 5600. I then put money in an HSA but 5,600 won't break me. so yes, it is less coverage than most are comfortable with but it works for me and works well. I can use the money I save on premium and roll it into an HSA. Then if I don't hit my deductible, which i usually don't, I have extra money in an HSA. It's hard to compare apples to apples as my plan is no longer offered but the most comparable plan I can find on the bcbs exchange is over 1k. From what I understand, they add on maternity coverage for my age, I'm 32. I don't need maternity coverage in any shape form or fashion. But to answer your question, I've had the same policy for three years so the 10% is 10% although it may have been 12%-14% but it wasn't 100%. Now, I'm not one of those guys that thinks things weren't broken because they are. Just a little simple math shows you how a 10%-12% increase over time is totally unsustainable. For example, in 20 years, I'd be paying 6.72 times what I'm paying now with 10% increases. But young healthy unsubsidized families on hdhp's who manage their own health are taking the brunt of the change and, quite frankly, we're being the most responsible. We should be going to HDHP and away from co-pay, not the other way around.

Possibly. Who offers health insurance in the state? I really don't know. I guess Humana and United do but United's coverage sucks. Humana is the only other option and I haven't researched them.

6. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I'm glad the Govt. is defining what corporate responsibility should be. Yah right.

If you or an employee doesn't like what a company is doing you can easily do something about it. Force never works.

7. red55

Exactly. We can vote.

8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

you still have yet to offer proof of your comments so stop trying to change the subject....you got nothing amigo

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Like I said, all over the news. Not gonna go play these school girl games with you.. I dont care if you believe me or not.

10. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

you mean all over the conservative make believe media? dude, I don't know where you are getting your information because I have seen some speed bumps in the road but the catastrophe that you guys have been peddling is bull shit, plain and simple. "all over the news" isn't going to get it.

red55 likes this.