Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Apps and accessories I would like to see

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Bengal B, May 27, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was going to post this in the intolerable behavior thread but by now the followers of that thread have fallen asleep reading the argument between Red and tirk.

Somebody should make a phone case that not only protects the phone but has self defense capabilities. Lets say you are attacked by either that hoodie wearing black kid or the bald headed white skinhead with the face full of tattoos because you couldn't decide which side of the dark alley to walk on. Never fear! You whip out your trusty phone and push a button and the assailant gets a face full of pepper spray. There is already something on the market to do that but to take it a step farther, if the thug still manages to get closer you use your phone's stun gun feature to zap about a million volts into him. At the same time an app activates and takes a picture of the creep and at the same time calls 911 while emailing or texting a picture of the perp to the cops.

Here is a link to an iphone stun case

http://www.yellowjacketcase.com/
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

That's gonna get a lot of people killed.
  3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I just avoid dark alleys.
  4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

Dude, don't mug me yet, I gotta get my phone outa my pocket and turn on an app, k?
    shane0911 and MLUTiger like this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Why not just pull your pistol and shoot him, Indiana?
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Exactly, hell it's about to be legal to carry them anywhere.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A person in fear of being attacked, like maybe a woman in a dark parking lot at a Wal-Mart, would already have her phone in her hand and if the hardware and apps are correctly configured the app would activate at the touch of either the pepper spray button or the stun gun button
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Speaking for myself that would be what I would like to do but unfortunately if you kill somebody, even a low life, you could find yourself immersed in legal difficulties in our PC society. The system I proposed here is not something I would buy for myself but it would make a great gift for a woman or a child. Whoever makes something like this is going to make a ton of money.

Anyway, I started this thread not just to talk about my idea but in the hope that some of you would post some cool ideas of your own for apps and phone accessories
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Or suffer a ton of lawsuits. Given the average persons competence to handle weapons, how many would manage to shock themselves when they held it up to their ear for a phone call? or allowed a child access to it? What would technicians charge to work on it? I think this is one of those things that are just better being separate items. Stun guns are cheap and small already.

Fair enough, but I am one of those that thinks that it is possible to put too many accessories onto anything. Or to try to combine too many instruments into one. For instance, Swiss Army knives really suck as a pocket knife, as cool as it seems to have all those tiny tools. And I laugh when I see an AR-15 loaded with a scope, a laser, two flashlights, a bipod, and a hundred-round drum magazine.

There are a ton of freakin' dumb apps out there, too. But at least people do keep coming up with useful ones now and then. A voice-stress lie detector might be interesting.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Swiss Army makes a lot of different configurations of knives. Some of them are so overloaded with stuff that they are useless but others are more functional. Back when you could send in the Marlboro Miles and get free stuff I got a few of their Swiss Army Knife. I gave a few away and I carried one for a while until all mine disappeared. It was a very handy knife with just a few extra tools that would come in handy every now and then. I might still have a couple of them around the house so now that I'm thinking about it I'm going to look and see if I can find one of them. I like to carry a knife but if a knife is a bit too heavy the weight makes my thigh go numb. The Swiss knives never did that.
    I also got a Swiss Army Watch from the Marlboro people. It lasted for about 6 years before it conked out