Are we looking at another 2003?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GEAUXARMY, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GEAUXARMY

GEAUXARMY Founding Member

You know, an AP champ and BCS champ. I dont think OSU or USF will lose another game due to their "schedules".:rofl: But who knows, this year has been crazy.:geauxtige

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I hope we ARE looking at another '03...:crystal: ...but I SERIOUSLY doubt tOSU OR USF will be in the picture. We may very well be looking at an EXACT replica of the '03 BCSNCG, though.:thumb: Here's hoping!:geauxtige

3. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

I thought USF had some tough games coming up. I'm definitely tuning in tomorrow against Rutgers.

How sweet would that be.. I can't decide if I'd rather USF to lose thursday or later in the season though.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

At this point, you should just want them to lose, period.

5. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

not really...in 2003, the AP actually meant something. This year, the AP poll equivalent to your local Burger King poll.

6. TC

TC Le Big Mac

I don't think these Tigers are going to win the national title. But after the 2003 team lost to Florida, I didn't think they'd win one either.

What sucks is now they've lost a game. If they were to win out and hoist the crystal football at season's end, there's a strong chance that it would be, like 2003's, a tainted championsip. Not in everybody's eyes. But in enough people's eyes to ruin our bliss.

(This will be even more likely if no college team finishes undefeated and a handful of teams finish with one loss. Everyone will debate who the best two one-loss teams are, and there will be no true consensus regarding the championship game.)

That said, if this year's Tigers are going to have a legitimate shot at running the table, Early Doucet must get back on the field and be at 100 percent. :lsup:

7. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

Why?? was UFs championship last year tainted??? There were multiple 1 loss teams last year as well. :confused:

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

No offense, TC...but that's a buzzkiller of a post. There is NEVER a clear cut champion IMO...yet they still play for it...and we still want our team to win it. I don't know of many years where there wasn't someone "left out"...crap, AU went UNDEFEATED and got left out! IMHO, and the opinion of many analysts...last year's MNC game would've been a better contest if it had been between LSU and UF instead of tOSU. We were definitely a better team than tOSU...but I don't think anyone thinks we SHOULD have been in the MNC game.

Even if there is a playoff, like the pros...there is ALWAYS someone that will feel they are a better team than at least ONE of the competitors in the big game. That's just the way it goes...and I for one hope it goes OUR way this year. You can't let a triple overtime loss to a very good team negate the FACT that LSU is one of the best teams in the country. In many people's opinions, including mine, we're still the best team in the country. We just happenned to lose a close game on the road against a now top 10 team. Happens all the time. Were we better than #1 UF when Dinardo's team knocked them off at our place in '97? Me thinks not. We just played a better game than them on that ONE day...just like KY did Saturday.

9. TC

TC Le Big Mac

Things worked out nicely for UF last year. First of all, Michigan, the team that people said should have taken the Gators' place in the title game, got destroyed on New Year's Day.

Second, UF demolished the undisputed #1 team in the nation, OSU, who had retained the #1 ranking from start to finish.

These two occurrences left little doubt as to who the best team was.

Though I still think LSU would have won it all had there been a playoff.

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Well, since nothing is going to go in our favor, and the most we could hope for is a "tainted" title, I guess we should just call it quits and try again next year.

1 person likes this.