Around college football... mostly week 1

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Sep 8, 2006.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Around college football...

Maybe Dan Hawkins wasn't the coach we all thought he was. First Colorado loses to a 1aa team and now Boise St blows out Oregon St to start off week 2.

Congrats to the SEC. Vandy had a descent showing against Michigan and Auburn and Tennessee handed solid losses to the Pac10. I expected more from Arkansas and S Carolina, two teams that seem a bit disappointing. Ole Miss still has plenty of improvement to make despite winning their opener against Memphis.

Duke and New Mexico joined Colorado in the ranks of 1a teams that have lost to 1aa teams this season.

Baylor wasn't able to continue in the right direction with a close loss to TCU, Idaho played a competitive ball game in a loss to Michigan St, Rutgers got a nice win over N Carolina, Pittsburgh got a huge win over Virginia, and Louisville toppled a Kentucky team that has another long season ahead of them. UCLA is better than they get credit for and UTEP is continuing their winning ways.

Arizona, Auburn, Florida, Fresno St, Tennessee, Alabama, and Ole Miss all bolstered LSU's numbers with Ws, though Arkansas, Kentucky, and Mississippi St hurt us. Tulane helped by not playing, and thus not losing.

LSU looked good against a way overmatched opponent; hopefully we can carry over our success to the Arizona game. The passing game look competent against a weak ULL defense, the running game looked promising, and the defense looked strong. Special teams is a big question mark, but our overall performance in game one was a nice way to start the season. Bring on Zona.

2. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'm trying to keep an open mind about Hawkins simply because of what that program has been through the last several years. Although, like most, I was shocked to see them lose.

Personally, around the SEC, there wasn't much we didn't know already. But, thoughts that were confirmed were...South Carolina is struggling with their OL who literally seemed frozen in place at times...and MSU doesn't have an offense. I've seen some point to the cliche' "it was a defensive battle" but about all I saw were "offensive woes."

Like we've all suspected, the UT v UF game is going to tell a lot about how the East is going to shape up. I'm still not 100% convinced about UT and I'm still 100% convinced Leak isn't the player for the Pope's spread option.

4. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

No doubt..... kinda' makes you wonder how they're going to handle Georgia's talented DE's Quentin Moses and Charles Johnson. Guess we'll see if the Ole Ball Coach is still the genius everybody thinks he is.

Something tells me we're going to see a lot of Gamecock two-TE sets and backfield blockers , mebbe with only two wide receivers. probably Rice and Newton trying to do the damage.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

For a Spurrior led team to only score 1 touchdown, that via a double-pass, says a lot about the state of that program.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Many agree about that. Surely they would adapt the offense a little to take some advantage of what Leak brings.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Lou Holtz also won a NC, like Spurrier, but he sure couldn't win @ South Carolina. Some schools are just like that. South Carolina and MSU looked REALLY bad.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Urban will struggle early with Leak running his system b/c he is to ignorant to change. He will then tweak it and by the end of the season it will basically be a normal offense...you know, kind of like last year? :yelwink2:

Then the ESPN guys will praise CUM's offense and wet themselves over the 1st to 2nd year improvement.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

It will be LSU vs Georgia in the SEC Championship again. Florida has too hard of a schedule. I am not sold on Tenn yet because I think Cal losing their starting QB was a huge loss and the beginning of a horible season. And SC looked pretty bad overall. But we have only gone through one week of football so maybe it will change the outcome on the SEC East.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I caught the late night highlights off of the Sunshine Network early Monday morning...Leak had a tad under 250 yards in the air (though a bit 80 or so came from dumps to two of his backfield). As far as taking advantage of his downfield passing ability, didn't do it...longest pass of the night was @20 yards (including YAC).