Article: Jefferson steps up...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Apr 8, 2011.

1. King Joey

King Joey Founding Member

Certainly not. That has absolutely zero to do with anything that I have posted. My point is that for you to say that we are definitely not going to win the SEC if he doesn't make significant improvement is simply not borne out by the evidence. It doesn't mean we will win the SEC if he makes no improvement, and it obviously doesn't mean we should not want him to make as much improvement as possible. All it means is that there is zero justification for abandoning championship hopes even if you are going to be pessimistic enough to assume zero improvement at the QB position.
    Of course you do. Everyone does. But how does that lead to a conclusion that an SEC Championship is out of the question if the uncertainty isn't removed? That's what makes it uncertainty; nothing is out of the question.

:eek:ldskule::geaux::eek:ldskule:

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Of course it's possible. It's possible I can walk outside my apartment tomorrow and get struck by lightning. It's possible Bama, Arky and MSU all end up laying eggs this season and LSU wins the West by default, But it probably won't happen. Too many unknown variables to know for sure.

Call it pessimism if you will, but LSU going 11-2 with that kind of QB/WR performance was nothing short of miraculous. Both NC runs in '03 and '07 required an extraordinary amount of luck also, so your scenario isn't outside the realm of possibility. So I'll rephrase: given the available information, winning an SECC is less likely if we don't see significant improvement from Jefferson.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I can get on board with this.

I don't know what it is about the Arky game either. The team always seems to play flat when there isn't much left to play for, and even in years where there was ('07 and '10), there always seems to be some key injury or problem that makes the going that much tougher.

4. King Joey

Okay, I'll buy that. I still think it sounds like you are underselling our chances a good bit, but reasonable minds can differ on the specifics. Either way, our chances clearly go up dramatically if our QB play improves to even moderate level performance. If we can get to, say, 2nd team All SEC level of QB play, the sky's the limit!

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What evidence? I say it is suggested by history--Jefferson's best performance has never gotten us over the hump. I tend to place more reliance on what has actually been accomplished than what I imagine is possible.

You just made a point that there is no evidence of this, but now you state that there is "zero" justification to abandon championship hopes. Dude, you are simply guessing just like the rest of us.

Nobody talks certainties in football, we talk about probabilities an likelihoods.

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You forgot the most famous one of all...

BERT JONES...paul lyons :D

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If we had a month to prepare for every game Jordan would be the greatest quarterback in LSU history. Unless we played on a sloppy wet field.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

The funny thing is, although I fully understand what you're saying...it isn't true. He's been decent to good in games like GT, Bama last year, and TAMU...but he hasn't exactly blown it up ever. It's just that a whole decent game looks so much better than what we normally see, it fools us.

9. King Joey

So you feel like Jordan Jefferson's play made it impossible for us to win the SEC last year, despite the fact that just one defensive player making one more tackle against Auburn would have put us there?
    Right, because there are no certainties there is always hope. The amount of hope is a subjective function of how unlikely a different result seems and how optimistic or pessimistic the person viewing it is. I see that our results from last season were EXTREMELY close to being 11-1 and in the SEC Championship Game with a great chance of winning it. I also see that our results from last season were EXREMELY close to being 8-4 (or worse). Since I tend towards optimism, I choose to maintain hope for that teensy, tiny bit of variance needed for the championship outcome. Other who are less optimistic would tend more towards fearing that teensy, tiny bit of variance needed for 8-4. But with the margin being as slim as it is, neither outcome can be realistically be called out of the question.
    Well, the posts to which I was responding were fairly clear about the "certainty" of us not winning the SEC if Jefferson doesn't significantly improve. Dolemite has clarified that the appearance of certainty was not intended, so we've agreed to disagree on the level of uncertainty. But the evidence of last season most strongly suggests that either potential outcome would have a reasonable probability given the same strength team again this year.

10. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Yes

vs. Auburn
    Jefferson 7-14 46yds 1 int (Auburn #108 Pass D)

16 car 74yds 1td

120 total yds