Auburn: 1st Q. down 7. 4th&1-go 4 it. 4th Q. down 31. 4th&1-PUNT. HUH???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by captainpodnuh, Oct 26, 2003.

1. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

FT, put the brakes on. The decision to go for it in the 1st quarter was really gutsy and showed a lot of confidence in his offense. He was attempting to take the crowd out of the game. I didn't find it to be based on ego. Cadillac looked like everything they said he was. We were just very well prepared for the game and were able to contain the running game. A brilliantly coached team showed that with phenomenal play last night.

That was not a chance that many coaches would take. However, it was clear that that was the last chance he would be allowed to take. LSU's coaches outcoached and LSUs players outplayed. Geaux Tigers!!!

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I agree with fightin Tiger. At that point in the game, the risks outweighed the reward. Then when he went for it the second time, that was incredibly stupid. This ain't Tepper's LSU. FT's point about Tubby's ego is right on the mark.

3. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I made this exact same point last night on the WEN board (moderated by a giant female organ) and got banned for my efforts. This is what I mean when I say that the Bauburnite Dolls can dish it out but not take it.

Tubby's decision to punt rather than go for it on 4th at that point was evidence that he QUIT trying to win the game at that point, and was just trying to minimize the bloodletting.

At that point, I knew that he and his team were TOTALLY BROKEN AND BEATEN DOWN!! The warm, satisfying feeling that I had at that moment was exquisite, my friends, just exquisite.

I felt . . . UTTERLY TRIUMPHANT !!

:geaux:

:lsug:

4. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

i agree that it was supremly stupid.

1.) It proved that he came into this game scared of LSU.

2.) I dont believe it showed confidence. I believe just the opposite. It showed a lack of. He would have punted if he had confidence in his defense which was supposed to be so good.

3.) It was not a gamble to make at that time. It would have been smarter to go for it with his punter if he wanted to go for it.

4.) The second fourth down go was just as stupid. He had the chance to back up LSU offense and who knows then. Turnover and he is in business.

5.) Field position was just as important to him in the first quarter after the score than scoring himself. It would have quieted the crowd and let them get in the game a little.

6.) I also believe he made a mistake by choosing to get the ball in the second half. With the crowd all pumped he took the chance on exactly what happenned. The guys were juiced and once LSU scored on that first series Teletubby panicked and so did his team.

My take anyway.

I hope tubby stays at Auburn because we will own them.

Geaux Tigers