Axe falls on NHS services

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Axe falls on NHS services - Telegraph
    Just watch everything happening in Europe, we are going down that road and we will learn the hard way unless someone stops the fool in the WH and his foolish kind.
    Here is just one example of many problems such as health care.
    Quote from Article:
    Some of the most common operations — including hip replacements and cataract surgery — will be rationed as part of attempts to save billions of pounds, despite government promises that front-line services would be protected.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I don't understand why people think rationing care is so terrible. We spend a lot of money on medical care that does not extend or improve the quality of life. At some point we have to take a look at end of life care and realize what we are doing is wasteful and often times wrong.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

All depends on who is controlling the switch I guess.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Revisit this issue when you're 61 years old. Old people are not animals who need to be put down.

5. LSUsupaFan

I am in no way advocating euthanasia. What I am saying is we spend a crap load of money doing procedures that do not make dying people be not dying. My 95 year old grandfather has prostate cancer. His first doctor recommended the usual cancer treatments of surgery, radiation, and chemo. My mom got a second opinion and the second doctor said chemo and radiation would almost surely kill him. And it would definitely ruin the quality of his remaining life.

I do not want my grandfather to be eaten alive by cancer. He had a terribly hard life, and him meeting his end this way is not fair, but at the same time I realize that not everyone can be saved, or even treated. At some point we have to face facts and stop doing things that are not going to save or improve lives simply for the sake of doing everything we can.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Tell that to the people from the article above that won't get their common operations.
    I have to wonder if anyone reads articles, I even quoted from a short excerpt form the article that explained some of the cuts were for hip replacements and cataract surgery.
    I really don't understand this comment above?
    You are saying it is ok for the government to make that decision?
    I totally disagree, it is NO ONES business but you and your doctor.
    The minute you let others in the loop you lose the freedom to make your own decisions.
    IMHO life has gotten cheaper every year since abortion was made legal, Doctor Death came along and now we are moving right along.

One other point, spending money on health care whether necessary or not is a good thing especially if it is your money or insurance.
    It helps stimulate the economy better than government bailouts and stimulus.
    Now days spending money and profits are evil, unless it is the government, unreal!

1 person likes this.
  7. SabanFan

Your confusing rationing with sound treatment planning. Obama's plan would say "Fk him, he's 95. Don't spend any more money on him."

8. LSUsupaFan

The two become interwoven with end of life care. Medical care is a finite resource. At some point we have to wake up and say that we cannot treat every case equally. Decisions have to be made about who will benefit more from a procedure.

9. SabanFan

So, let the old bastards die so you younguns can have the care dollars? Fk that.

10. LSUsupaFan

Not at all. Quit running to the fear herd mentality. It is reality that we cannot do everything for everyone. We have to prioritize our resources. If a procedure is not going to benefit someone docs should not order simply because medicare reimburses for it. That is happening and it is wrong. It increases costs for everyone and does not benefit the patient.