Basketball vs Nicholls State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Nov 16, 2010.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

We are losing by 6 to Nicholls State with under 4 min remaining. We're not that bad, are we?

:geauxtige

2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Eventually, we'll end up pretty dangerous. As of now, these sort of things are going to happen.

If we can't come back, it will be troubling, surprising, and ultimately disappointing. Still, Trent Johnson has this team heading in the right direction.

3. northernvatiger

I hope so. I guess we have a pretty young team right now, and I thought that we had an excellent class coming in this year. It's just hard to fathom losing this type of game at home. Don't we have a long winning streak against in-state teams going (and from the looks of things, in jeopardy tonight)?

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

82 game home winning streak against in-state schools has ended.

62-53 NSU

5. northernvatiger

Ouch -- Tigers lose, 62-53. Not going to win too many games when you're shooting around 37%. Also, the 82 game home winning streak vs in-state teams is history.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

nicholls didn't shoot well either % wise. i told you guys this game would be interesting. i'm ecstatic for my school and i hope the students show up en masse for our first home game of the season next friday against TOOLAME!

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Ouch! Sometimes when you live by the jumper you die by it too. This happens with a Freshmen heavy team every now and again.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

It's the second game of the season

I'll say this, at least on this board, there isn't a total "the sky is falling" and let's fire the coach mentality. :miles:

I have to say, when I checked the box score after working tonight, I was surprised. But, as I mentioned in another thread earlier in the season, Tennessee (a potentially ranked team btw) lost in an exhibition game to a Div II school. It's early in the season and with a young team, ups and downs are to be expected.

First off, let's be reminded that in basketball, you do have less "talented" teams surprise people every now and then, and more important than anything, is chemistry and team work. Nicholls is a team that almost beat LSU last year, and returned most of it's players, including an All-conference Aussie who lit up LSU for 28 points tonight. LSU actually outrebounded NSU, but the turnovers is a problem. But, when you rely on freshman, expect growing pains.

I'm not panicking, b/c frankly, these freshman need to feel the weight of a loss and why you can't just shoot yourself to a win.

There are some troubling items though. First, you'd expect more from guys like Warren and White. You would have expected LSU to go big against a smaller team--clearly what happened was their perimeter play got a younger LSU guard line up out of rhythm. When you look at the stats, everything's comparable, except for the turnover margin. LSU actually improved you can say on rebounding and defense, since we outrebounded them and they shot a worse %. In a tight game, youth will show its ugly head and perhaps down the stretch, LSU lost it's way.

Now, let's see how Trent builds on this and the kids learn. As we predicted, different folks are going to be stepping up on different nights. Tonight Matt D surprised off the bench. Again, as the season goes on, they have to find some go to plays, some confidence in players to make the crucial plays. Stringer's definitely asserting himself. Would have like to see more from Dotson and White.

Memphis looms large this weekend... they play Miami tonight, I think.

9. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Ugggly. They are missing an upperclassman that can create offense for himself. They also don't have a leader on the floor, as evident by the 5 turnovers in the final 6 possessions. This year isn't looking so good, IMO, because those aren't things that can be gained in a timely manner.

I also think the players are all too 1 dimensional in some way. Derenbecker can shoot decent, but he can't drive to the basket and I noticed a lot of lazy passes. Ludwig hustles, but he is useless on offense. I don't think I've seen him make an offensive move. I've seen players like him before and they do have a place on the team, but they shouldn't be on the floor that much, especially when the team is desperate for offense. Turner is the best offensive player, but he doesn't have the game speed to get to the basket and keep defenders honest. They(as well as I), know that he would rather pull up for a leaner than to take it all the way to the basket.

10. Mr. B

Mr. B Founding Member

Chaulk one up for the Nicholls State Nazis. Sad state of affairs when my alma mater trades in a Southern Gentleman Mascot for what looks like an Colonel from the SS.