Be careful what you wish for.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 15, 2009.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I agree 100%... you play the personnel that gives you the absolute best chance to win the game at hand. If the upper classmen aren't being played in their final seasons, then that falls back on their work ethic... but atleast then everyone has the same chance of seeing the playing field.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Yep. Dude is the classic over-thinker. He seems to think that if something works great once, then the opposing D will not only recognize it from that point forward, but also be able to completely shut it down. It's quite ridiculous. Nothing, I mean nothing, frustrates me more than watching other teams find what's working and stick with it. . .then the LSU game comes on and we try to fake the other team out, but we only end up faking ourselves out. I think that Kieland has been the biggest and most tragic victim of this.
    You mean "how". . ."HOW" he screws that up. :D

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

The problem with this is that we already wasted one season with co-DCs, and now two with CGC (assuming you consider his first year a success since we won the NC, which we would have probably done with just about any OC, IMO). personally, i would not like to see the continued dilution of our talent level by a poor OC. i don't care what people base his ineptness on, overthinking, too much of a genius for his own good :rolleye33:, poor developer of QB, poor in-game corrections, whatever other excuse one wants to come up with. he is not doing a quality job as an OC of an upper echelon SEC team over serial seasons despite unbelievable talent. LSU is friggin #108 in offense in the entire NCAA despite all of the talent that we all know on offense. CGC needs to go, bottomline. it's as clear as the co-DC thing last year.

scary to think what these last two years could have been if we actually had quality OC/DCs at the same time.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

What if the new guy designs a system to fit JJ's talents rather than trying to make JJ fit his system?

5. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Maybe, but I would think the philosophy is dictated by the HC, with the OC developing and executing a game plan based on that philosophy. I have no clue what the offensive philosophy is right now; I thought it was run the football, establish the line of scrimmage, allow running to open up passing, etc. Whatever it is, it ain't working.

The offense just looks so uncomfortable and appear to be full of tension out of the field, like they're pressing too hard.

6. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

There's lots of things I don't really like about Crowton, but, those aside, I honestly would be surprised if they do get rid of him after this season. He can argue several things that happened that he had "no" control over, and the AD will probably go along with it

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

That was a mediocre 7-4 team. The offense ranked 53rd in the nation with 376.36 yards per game. The defense was 46th in the nation with 350.91 yards per game.

The 2001 defense was even worse at 75th in the nation, giving up nearly 400 yards a game.

It took Saban 3 years to finally field a decent defense, and then....the offense sucked.

8. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Either one of the Co-Oc's at TCU this year. The TCU offense would work
    wonders in BR. Anyone see the 350 plus rushing yards against a tough Utah defense.............Alabama couldn't do it.:geaux:

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I have followed the frogs for about 12 years, and i love Patterson and his crew, and a friend of mine were talking about him coaching in the SEC and the one drawback we had was the last guy who left TCU to come to the SEC. Franchione, we just couldn't get past the fact that he had that one good season under probation.

10. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Franchione owed his success at TCU to his DC, Patterson, period. He can coach defense and has proven it year after year even with significant losses of players to grad/NFL. I have seen comments from schools looking for a DC and they THINK the DC at TCU is the genius, the plan was there
    way before the current coord. As for DF at Alabama I think he saw a train wreck coming with Alabama and NCAA and the lure of A&M was too much to turn down. Problem with DF is that even though he took all coaches from TCU he left behind one very good one (GP) and he did not use the GP
    defensive scheme until the lights were almost out at A&M and it was too late. DF IS NOT GP and the other way around. DF has an ego the size of Texas and it took a major program in the state to accomodate him. BTW current Dir Football Ops at TCU is LSU grad and former equip guy when he was in school.

However this thread is about OC's. The two guys now doing the job as co OC's are young guys and both were on the staff last year. Jarrett Anderson was my son's WR coach and he is very imaginative with what GP will allow him to do. TCU ranks as high in offensive stats as they do with defense and part of the reason they are doing so well is the defense does not have to win every game and can actually relax in most of them. The players doing the damage for the most part were missed on the recruiting radars of the "recruiting guru's". The good news is almost everyone of them come back next year. BTW, they have several LA. kids that contribute in huge ways on both sides of the ball. Anderson is a VERY GOOD recruiter and is TCU's LA. recruiter, so he knows the state well.:geaux:

PS Illinois is now reaping the fruit of the previous TCU OC...............thank God!!!

1 person likes this.