Best boiled crawfish in south LA.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by MikebTiger, Feb 25, 2005.

1. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

alright, I know this belongs in the good eats forum, but it is Friday, it is lent and I am thinking about the sacrafice I have to make this evening when I must abstain from meat due to the traditions of the Catholic church. Part of that sacrafice is to head down to my favorite watering hole/seafood joint and drink cold bud and scarf downa few lbs of Louisiana's finest mudbugs and maybe a dozen oysters.

When I don't boil them myself, I think the very best and biggest boiled crawfish are at 1921 Seafood on Barrow Street in Houma. Always a good size and always very good. A bit pricey, but worth the extra cash. I have never had crawfish any better than 1921's. They have a spice blend they use where they season the water, which is a typical method in the Houma/Lafourche area (the same way cook them, but I cannot replicate their success). A lot of folks in Houma really like Big Al's on Grand Caillou - I just don't go there much cuz 1921 is nevar wrong.

I've had what some have described as great crawfish in the Acadiana area where the seasoning is applied in an ice chest after the dads are boiled. I don't care for that. I am convinced that there is no place in New Orleans or Baton Rouge that has an inkling on how to properly prepare boiled crawfish.

Every now and then, I like to take a Friday road trip to search out good crawfish in other towns?

So give it up - where are the crawfish best in your hometown? If you are in Houma - go to 1921 - but be prepared to wait on a Friday.

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

I've never known anywhere in Louisiana that doesn't season the water and only sprinkles the seasoning on afterward. Must be run by some Yankees.

3. Da-veed

Da-veed Freshman

Have you tried Tony's on Plank Rd across the street from Redeptorist(sp?) High? Not the hottest but consistant and easy to peel.

4. friday

friday Founding Member

Vince's Seafood on Lafayette Street in Gretna has been burling the best crawfish for years. spicy, but not too spicy and dem crabs, ooohh.

5. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

I did not believe it myself, but ALOT of people in the Acadiana area do it that way.....

6. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Bayou Bistro in Brusly......

All-u-can-eat $19 or 2.39(i believe) by the lb........

7. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

Man, I gotta agree with the guy about Tony's on Plank in Baton Rouge. I live in Kansas City now and I can't get any decent crawfish. I miss Tony's BADLY! I wish there was some money to be made in Louisiana, I'd move back. Gotta watch the Tiger games on cable. Man,,,,,,,,,,I miss those crawfish!
    -Charlie

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

You are right. The best boiled crawfish is prepared out of a home, not in a restaurant. Go get a sack and a boiler :D

9. pattonquad

pattonquad Founding Member

Hawk's in the rice fields south of Eunice. Hard to find and only open during crawfish season but they're the best I've ever had.

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

These guys have my vote for being the best I've EVER had! I'm from the area, and there is no comparison! Big Als is OK, but there is something about 1921s that is just so damn special!