Best hard Rock/metal albums of all time

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

I'm on the opposite side when it comes to Nirvana. Nirvana, it is said, is what brought an end to the "hair" band days. They heralded what we like to call the "new-metal" movement. Everyone views this stuff differently, but I just couldn't dig Nirvana and all the copiers that followed. To me, it sounded like they were just jumping up and down, banging on instruments (actually, the same could be said about earlier metal by older folks LMAO). Anyway, I do however give credit to Kurt Cobain. He knew how to get kids listening to him and draw fans. And he did write good songs. I guess I just didn't like the overall sound. Shame he went and off'd himself.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It was the only way he could get into Club 27.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

This is true as far as everyone views it differently but to say that people like Cantrell, Grohl, Cornell, McCready, Et al were just jumping up and down banging on instruments is a little disingenuous. Because they played everything a half step down doesn't mean they weren't great musicians . I can't stand Barbra Streisand but the bitch can sing.

MikeInLa likes this.
  4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

That song mostly. I never got tired of hearing it. But I played the shit out of that CD also

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King both tuned their guitars down.

6. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I wasn’t a huge fan of nirvana. Still don’t care for them.

7. shane0911

It was more of a sarcastic comment than anything else. Hell Keith Richards plays a lot in open E as does just about anyone who plays a lot of slide. Tons of alternate tunings out there, it's what is great about guitar.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I haven't tried any alternate tunings yet but soon. I wish I had started playing when I was 20 or younger. Actually I did. I had a cheap electric guitar when I was 20. I couldn't ever tune the thing right. I didn't have an app on my phone to do it with.

9. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Jerry Cantrell was great. And for some reason, I loved AIC. "Down in a Hole" is one of my favorite songs from that era. And I didn't mean to lump them all in together. Obviously there was a lot of great music from some of those bands, so don't take it that way. Down tuning has nothing to do with why I liked or disliked a lot of that 'new-metal' stuff. George Lynch did a full album of heavier, downtuned versions of Dokken songs that was pretty good. And just so we're clear... I said the music sounded to me like they were just jumping up and down banging on instruments. That doesn't mean I thought the musicians themselves sucked. I just didn't like the music they were playing. I can play guitar fairly well and I can also bang out some Nirvana for you... some will like that and some might think I suck at it LMAO. I would personally think it sucked even though I was playing it. But I still think I can play. Anyway, touche... :)

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

Was?

Last I checked he is still around. Cali and I might not be able to go on

MikeInLa likes this.