Big Baby down to 290 lbs and impressing at Nike camp

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Lil Jules, Jul 7, 2006.

1. clair

clair Rockets

yeah, he was always huge

he was more along the lines of 400 in high school

2. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

I say put that guy at tight end. He has quick feet, good hands, has the size, and has football experience. I bet you he would have a better career in the NFL than in the NBA seriously.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

If you're a 6'9" power forward and always play below the rim, you have a vertical problem.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Oh, you mean like Bird?:thumb:

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Bird at 6'9" was an accident of nature. I guess I should have included if you always play below the rim AND in the post. :thumb:

6. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

It will be a problem in the NBA. He is a good college player because he can body up on everybody, but he will not be able to over power everyone in the NBA. Those NFL scouts are always looking for a special talent and 6''9 300+ with feet of a guy that is 240 is special.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

No doubt, here, that the NBA would love you to be 6'10", 240-250, run like a gazelle, jump out the gym and shoot the three--that's the ideal power forward in today's game.

But seriously, plenty of players get drafted who aren't prototypical. I for one, am not one of the naysayers who think Big Baby can't be drafted or won't go high. He did right by coming back, and I was saying last year that if he got down to 280-290 this season, he'd have a good shot at being a first rounder. Look at Cedric Simmons, the NC State guy that the Hornets draft at #15 (and many thought he'd go higher). He's about 6'9", 245, and showed less offensive polish than Big Baby.

How does he be effective at the next level without "hops"? First he shows that even if he's big and doesn't jump, he's fundamentally sound with his body. He boxes out and collects alot of rebounds and his stamina's such that he can work hard throughout a 40 minute game. Remember he effectively kept Aldridge and Shelden off the blocks last year and held them in check defensively.

Second, he shows his versatility on offense. Big Baby will still be able to back down some power forwards at 6'9", 280, in this league, and the boy does have some nice post up moves, including a drifting fade away. If he can show some consistency hitting his outside J, he will attract attention. If he's paired up with some good slashing play and better PG play, he can drift away and shoot outside occassionally, which will be a premium in the NBA. He's got a nice touch and hit a few threes last year. I think he can effectively be a good shooter.

If he works to keep his weight down, stamina up and diversify his game, he could be a cross between Wes Unseld and Karl Malone. Neither of those guys were particularly tall or jump well, but they could use their body well, draw contact and were very hard workers.

With more writers like Seth Davis, writing headlines with Big Baby's name in it, that will also help. Gotta love the national attention LSU's getting.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. SIX TOP 5 NBA LOTTERY PICKS.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sir Charles Barkley was a widebody without a lot of leaping ability, too. But he could still play this here game.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

is glen really 6'9"? i dont know for sure but the only time i saw him in person, i would have guessed under 6'8"

10. Soap

Soap Founding Member

I'm pretty sure he is about 6'7''. Standing next to the guy from texas, you could tell he was definitely not 6'9''.