News Bo Spencer suspended from basketball team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, Mar 29, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

From The Advocate (2theadvocate.com | News | LSU's Spencer suspended for academic issues — Baton Rouge, LA). Sounds like continued tension between CTJ and Bo:

LSU basketball head coach Trent Johnson has suspended starting guard Bo Spencer for failure to meet his academic responsibilities, according to WBRZ's Michael Cauble.
    Spencer was second on the team in scoring this year, averaging 14.5 points per game.

Spencer just completed his junior season at LSU after spending his high school career at Glen Oaks High School in Baton Rouge.

Johnson also announced that the entire walk-on group has been relieved of their duties and will have the opportunity to try out for the 2010-11 team.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

After the season. How convenient. How many games will he miss?

3. clair

clair Rockets

Did he flunk? Or was he just not making a 4.0?

Curious to find out the answer for this one.

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

me too. i'm not trying to start the war against CTJ again, but this is louisiana, this is baton rouge, bo spencer is not a rocket scientist, but he sure as hell is going to be needed next season. i'm starting to think that CTJ is conspiring to take down LSU basketball... :grin:

5. downtown

downtown Founding Member

He should have suspended him for many of the shots I saw him take this year.

Kidding...he didn't have his best shooting year by far, but he always seems to hustle to me and was still one of our only scorers. And he had some really good games sprinkled throughout. It's just that he was so aweome two years ago shooting, etc. I hope he's like that in his final year (as long as he makes it).

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Or, he's trying to instill a sense of responsibility on the team, send a message to his players and recruits that he wants them to graduate, and in the same breath, he wants to make sure that the players that can play his way are able to get minutes on the team next year.

Listen:

2theadvocate.com | LSU Sports | Audio: Johnson News Conference — Baton Rouge, LA

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

do you think he is majoring in rocket science?

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

id guess this is the stongest message ctj can send to bo to do well on upcoming spring sem finals.

9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Well. It sucks if it becomes permanent. Without Spencer, the Tigers are ridiculously thin in experience next season. But, like CLM and CPM, I like the fact that CTJ holds the team to standards. So I guess I can't b!tch about it too much. Sure will hurt, though.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm more worried about Bo. I bet coach Johnson is too.

I have a feeling that the suspension is more about Bo concentrating on his class grades more than it is about punishment. After all, he didn't break any team rules about personal conduct and his teammate that got in the fight with Tolliver didn't get suspended.

I like the idea behind the APR rules because it's very rare that players make it in the NBA. I used to cook for an All American from the Hornets that's now out of the NBA.

Basketball athletes, especially, have to get an education primarily.