Boston Butt

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Deceks7, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

NLMD's story of brisket inspired me. I have been cooking some Boston Butt since 9 this morning. Just hit 185 degrees, almost home!

OK, off the grill, rested and shredded.

Did this one pure commercial. Injected and slathered the meat with Butler's Texas Gold. Coated it with Stubb's Spice rub. Wrapped it and let the meat sit overnight in the frig. Set it out this morning and let it warm up. Used Mesquite in the smoker. 13 hours, using Stubb's Moppin Sauce every two hours, came out great and finished at 196. Mixed a little Stubb's Sweet mesquite q sauce in with the meat.

Does sound like a Stubb's Commercial, but it was great.

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

That's great, glad it turned out well. I almost bought a Boston Butt this week but figured I would wait til it's on sale. Thanks for the tip on Stubbs.

LSUTiga likes this.
  3. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

That is very wierd, that is what we cooked last night also...And it was very good too!!!

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

We smoked one for this game too.

Or should I say, we also ate butt.

5. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

So you have to sit with it for 13 hours? That's quite a time investment. I'm having a Christmas party Friday night and I was thinking about doing a boston butt or brisket. I just don't have time to sit and watch it for hours.

6. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

It depends on the size of the cuts. 1.5 to 2 hours per pound at 225 will usually do it. Remember that you will have about 30%-40% shrinkage. I use an electric themometer so I can track the internal temp without opening the smoker. You need a temp of 195-205 for good shred. Be sure to wrap it and let it sit 30-60 minutes before you tear it apart.

NLMD's brisket sounds good and was finished in an oven, less attention needed. I am a big fan of Butlers Texas Gold, a Mustard and Apple Cider Vinegar mix you might find in a store. I put it on all things that I put a rub on, and use it on poultry as a cooking sauce. It will not char as it has no sugar.

7. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

D, you have inspired me. Geeeeeeeeeeeee that sounds good. BB it will be this weekend...Thanks

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

PLEASE tell me you had a tossed salad with it too. :hihi:

1 person likes this.
  9. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

What type of thermometer are you using?

I was buying these dual temperature thermometers from Linens and Things that would give you the internal meat temp and the temp right above the meat. I found that they only last 1 or 2 times before the sensors crapped out on me.

I have a mustard slather recipe that is basically Mustard, Beer, and a few other things that works great, but I might have to try that Texas Gold if I can find some.

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Maverick ET-73, you can get it from Builders Square

http://www.builderssquare.com/xp_667335-Maverick_Remote_Smoker_Thermometer_ET_73.aspx

You can get Butlers from here or check to see if your stores carry it. The price, less shipping, is the same in stores.

http://www.butlersbbqsauce.com/default.html