Boycott Olympic Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Apr 8, 2008.

?

Should the USA boycott the opening of the 2008 Summer Olympic Games?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. clair

clair Rockets

saw this poll on ESPN. Thought I'd post it here.

I'll stay out of this one. I have no opinion.

I know I say that a lot when I really do, but I honestly don't have an opinion on this one. lol

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I think the venue for international political statements is in the UN. Athletes should not be forced into political grand stands, especially when it compromises their lifelong dreams. For many of these athletes, the opening ceremonies may be their only chance of everyone seeing them there.

I understand the nature of protests but I hated it for our athletes back in '80 when Carter forced them to skip the Olympics.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

No. And I love making unnecessary huge statements but these people have worked their whole lives to make it there and deserve to participate in what they consider one of the greatest events in the world.

If they were to do anything grow a pair and boycott the whole thing, but the athletes should be allowed to enjoy what is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most. Boycotting it will accomplish nothing except for ruining some incredible stories for the athletes and their families' future generations.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I will boycott it, It may not mean a damn thing to anyone over there, but its a pretty bad situation going on over there.

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I am sure the average Olympic athlete shares your views.
    Communism is bad? This is a newsflash?
    And yet we still trade extensively with them and recognize them as a legitimate government. You want our athletes to bite the bullet when we, as consumers clearly do not?

Priorities?
    That's a pretty bold statement. Because people don't share your opinion on an amateur athlete's political responsibility in world affairs and the sacrifices they should make, does not make them ignorant.

6. clair

clair Rockets

In the same breathe, wouldn't kicking their asses be just as big a political statement as boycotting?

The only thing a full boycott does imo is punish the American athletes who have done nothing to deserve to be punished, because at the end of the day, a jackass will always be a jackass and China won't change its ways.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i boycott walmart just because of their dealings with china. well, for that reason and because i dont want my son to have petroleum products in his apple juice.

1 person likes this.
  8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If Jimmuh Carter can do it...

9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

So thats why I have to go so bad, when I drink apple juice.
    this clears everything up.:hihi:

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

The sound of keyboards screaming is maddening. :hihi:

Let our athletes complete. No matter how corrupt the rest of the world is, our athletes earned and deserve the right to make their own statement against communism if that is their choice, however I don't think that decision should be made for them. After all, that would be communist!