Brady still stumbling at recruiting

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BasileTiger, Mar 2, 2004.

1. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

I read that Spencer Ford got kicked out of JUCO. You know the Scotlandville product that is supposed to be a member of the LSU basketball team next year.

Looks like he will never make it to LSU.

Now all we have to look forward to is Glenn Davis, who will be a good one.

We also will have Garret Temple, for what reason I do not know.

Everyone knows that Garret is the brother of Collis Temple, III.

Garret is averaging about 10 points a game for AA University High, the team that Glenn Davis rules.

I see Garret getting about as much playing time as LSU scholarship player Charlie Thompson.

We also are getting another forward by way of JUCO who played with Darnell Lazarre in high school at Woodlawn.

This class will stink, except for Glenn Davis.

Why aren't we recruiting top notch players in the state.

I see Martin Zeno of Class 5A Sulphur is a lock to sign with Texas Tech.

I see Shan Foster of Bonnabel was never mentioned as an LSU recruit.

Louisiana has a good pool of high school basketball talent, but it seems to get out of state.

Here are some guys that left in the last 10 years for other schools in the state or out of state. I know we were on scholarship sanctions for about 4 years, but still these guys were great players that got away.

Paul Milsap (Grambling) Louisiana Tech
    Chris Duhon (Salmen) Duke
    Hollis Price (St. Augustine) Oklahoma
    Clarence Moore (South Lafourche) Georgia Tech
    Byron Mouton (Rayne) Maryland
    Brandon Mouton (St. Thomas More) Texas
    Bernard King (Gibsland Coleman) Texas A&M
    Nick Anderson (Southern Lab) Texas A&M
    Kerry Kittles (St. Augustine) Villanova
    Marcus Fizer (Arcadia) Iowa State
    Gerald Honeycutt (Grambling) Tulane

These are just some guys off the top of my head and I'm sure you can think of many more.

Any comments on this post???

2. BB

BB Founding Member

I never knew Fizer was a LA product...
    That kid was a force on the basketball court...
    Did we recruit him? Was he highly recruited?

3. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

You think that's bad? Someone post the La football players we have lost to Mich, Neb, and so on.............

1/2 the guys on your list were in college when this team was on probation.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I read that Spencer Ford got kicked out of JUCO. You know the Scotlandville product that is supposed to be a member of the LSU basketball team next year.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to seriously wonder about Brady as a recruiter

5. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

You're right. Glen Davis, Brandon Bass, Tack Minor, Regis and the inside track on Tasmin Mitchell. That's horrible. I'm done cheering for LSU. I'm gonna go cheer for Sam Houston.

6. BasileTiger

Losing players to Nebraska and Michigan????

Dude,,,,,we never lost any football players to Nebraska. As for Michigan the only one I can think of out of Louisiana was Ronald Bellamy.

Who would you rather Ronald Bellamy or Michael Clayton.

Bellamy came out around the same time as Michael Clayton and Devery Henderson.

As for your comment about 1/2 the guys on my list were in college when we were on probation. The point is we picked up none of them.

Instead we recruited guys like Tim Bush, Shawnson Johnson, JuMichael Young, Tony Gibson, etc.

7. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

maybe someone can help but here is a couple that Brady got

Brandon Bass
    Tack Minor
    Antonio Hudson

Its easy to talk about the ones that got away in Basketball because their are usually a lot more out there than you can sign.

Some of those players mentioned above like Chris Duhon for one came out of High School when LSU was coming off of probation.

For a long time LSU football did not get a lot of talent out of the New Orleans area and Basketball is no different. Fizer had a relationship with Floyd before Floyd went to Iowa St from UNO. My point is there are a number of reason kids do not go to LSU to play basketball. Look at the game against UK nobody was there the place looked like every other seat was empty a top recruit see that and that could be why they go somewhere else.

Lots of reasons.

8. BasileTiger

You still wondering about Brady as a recruiter?

You mentioning five guys since Brady has been at LSU. That's not a great track record.

You are failing to mention about all of the guys we've lost that quit or transferred.

JuMichael Young, Shawnson Johnson, Tim Bush, The kid from Opelousas that quit this year, Tony Gibspon, etc.

I can't believe you saying that Brady is a great recruiter.

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

All I'm saying we shouldn't be recruiting kids like Shawnee Johnson and this kid that got kicked out of Utah, I guess he's
    Spencer Ford.

Brady needs to try an recruit kids with a little better character....

You recruit those kind of kids and the character shows on the court, I haven't said anything about Bass or Minor either.

10. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

Anthony Thomas.

Anyway, the point he was trying to make is that during that same period you're referring to we were having a mass exodus of in-state football talent. In fact, only since 2001 (Sugar Bowl year) has the tide begun to turn on in-state recruiting in the football program.

You knock Brady for recruiting those types of players, but you don't commend him for bringing in others who have succeeded. Do you know why he has to go after more than his share of "risk" players? Its because no one is beating down the door to come play basketball at LSU (and you can't blame Brady for that. two final four teams doesn't qualify us as a championship program). So Brady goes out and takes chances that Duke, Kansas, and other top programs don't have to take. A lot of times it just doesn't work out. Would you rather have him keep these guys on the team? Johnson walked out during halftime damnit. Unless Brady threw him out physically, that was Johnson's fault. Gipson never went to class. Did Brady need to hold his hand? Brady is establishing order and discipline. Remember: all of you make fun of Arkansas's discipline problems, but when Brady starts kicking these problems off the team, he gets blamed for running them off.

A lot of you need to get over your BCS hangovers and appreciate where this program's going. If you don't like where this program's going, then obviously you missed the second half of the Kentucky game.