Brady's Post-Game Coaching Report?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 17, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Ok, folks, I'm on a roll. :hihi:

I'll also just say, let's give some credit for last night's win to Brady. The team played great, but let's not forget Brady's in-game/half-time adjustments that made a difference:

1. Switching taller Mitchell to cover Soliver.

2. Going zone for a key stretch to separate the score. Tightening up on d.

Brady on Iona's points in the paint:
    "The points in the paint, and I addressed it at halftime, wasn't primarily by their post players. We just gave up some baskets in transition and let them get in the paint for easy scores. Our defense was not as alert or aware as it should have been."

3. Substituting Lazare, Thomas and Rolle in good pattern. Got Thomas the confidence he'll need further down the line. Gave Lazare a chance to really make an impact. Gave Rolle meaningful minutes.

4. Going to Big Baby, despite the 1 of 8 first half shooting:

Glen Davis on getting the ball down low in the second half:
    "It was coach's idea. He wanted to start off down low to get an inside presence. They were beating us in the paint to start off. Coach just called the right play at the right time and we stuck with it."

5. Actually getting some offense out of the Tigers, who shoot above 50%.

Jeff Ruland on slowing down the offense in the second half:
    "They (LSU) are so long, it's hard to run when you don't rebound and make stops. They executed great in the second half and eventually their height and speed wore us down. We're not going to compete against that caliber of guys playing with one or two players that do not have great games."

So....

Maybe the guy can coach in big games? :hihi:

I'll also say, when the camera panned to CJB, he wasn't always scowling or screaming. :) He also whipped out the nice steel blue shirt. Perhaps he's interviewing for a job? :hihi:

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I agree. Whether you like him or not, you can't deny the man credit for his halftime adjustments.

A lot of "Brady-bashers" claim that he will be out-coached by seemingly any other head coach because they claim Brady doesn't have "Tournament experience"....and that's just something that I don't understand. Win or lose, Brady has participated in what? 6 NCAA Tournament games? Reguardless of the outcomes of any of those, he's getting/gotten valuable coaching experience.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

What the non-educated fans tend to also overlook is that what coach, even a "tourney tested" coach, doesn't have his ups and downs over time. The key is "consistency" in the overall sense. Because games will bounce one way or the other depending on the way the ball bounces and the way the kids respond--the key to judging a coach's performance is on a more wholistic level, is the talent level remaining high or improving, are the games competitive, are the kids playing hard and fundamentally sound?

Case in point? After a full first round in this year's dance, let's look at how these coaches fared:

Tom Izzo, Michigan State. Loses to an 11 seed as a 6th seed. A disappointment.

Bill Self, Kansas. Hot Kansas team that had won it's Big 12 tourney. Loses AGAIN in the first round to 13th seed Bradley.

Steve Alford, Iowa. The heir apparent to the Indiana job. The Big 10 champ Iowa goes down to NORTHWESTERN State, a 14th seed.

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse. Hall of fame coach has his Big East tourney champs fall to 12 seed Texas A&M.

And, I'm sure we could point to more examples. Brady admittedly got a "monkey off his back" with his win last night. But I guess my point is that picking on his post season record is a little unfair. Every good college basketball coach is going to have losses to go with the wins...

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Yep, you could add Calhoun, Davis, Pearl, etc. to that list even though their teams won. Even Coach K maybe.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Agreed.

Just keep this thread as Exhibit A when Gofer and the other Brady bashers start to talk about hiring "promised land" coaches to LSU.

LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL.

:geauxtige Beat them Aggies!