Brian Tallet Opening Triple-A Starter tonight

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Apr 7, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if you don't read the article, check out Tallet's cap. great gesture.

edit: i decided this deserved its own thread after posting it in zephyrs.

tallet's coming off ligament surgery in his elbow for cleveland indians triple-a affiliate.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050407/1031000.asp

Bisons open with mound of potential

Tallet to front capable rotation

By RODNEY MCKISSIC
    News Sports Reporter
    4/7/2005

Brian Tallet starts the opener for the Herd.

The pitcher who put the finishing touches on the Buffalo Bisons' Governors' Cup championship serves as the team's Opening Day starter.

Brian Tallet, who recorded the final three outs in relief in the 6-1 triumph over the Richmond Braves in September, starts at 4 this afternoon when the defending champion Bisons host the Braves in Dunn Tire Park. Free-agent signee Steve Watkins, Kyle Denney and Jeremy Guthrie also will pitch against the Braves in the opening homestand, while Francisco Cruceta is scheduled to pitch against Syracuse on Monday in the first of a two-game series with the SkyChiefs.

"I have confidence that all five of them can go out and give us a chance to win," said Herd manager Marty Brown. "It's not like you're jockeying to see who's the No. 1 pitcher. On any given day any one of those five guys could be our No. 1 pitcher."

The rotation is more about assessment and development.

"It's a situation where we're going to evaluate early, and we have to find out what this team is about," Brown said. "The priority for me was to make sure we get our starters built up."

That's especially the case for pitchers on the verge of moving up such as Tallet, who underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2003 and is part of a small collection of pitchers ready to help the Indians' rotation or bullpen. Tallet competed for one of the final two spots in Cleveland's bullpen in spring training, but manager Eric Wedge selected Rafael Betancourt and Matt Miller, who were on the staff last season.

A fastball, slider, change-up thrower, Tallet is coming off a solid spring, yielding just eight hits, one run, six strikeouts and a pair of walks in six appearances (101/3 innings pitched, 0.87 ERA).

"There's no complaints on my end," Tallet said. "I felt I threw the ball well, and I gave myself a chance to make the (Indians). At the end of camp they thought it was best suited for the team to have someone else besides me, so I'm going to come down here, work on stuff and try and get better. If I get the opportunity, this year, next year or whenever, I'll be ready."

Tallet will be a starter with the Herd, but his pitch count will be supervised closely. He was on the path to Cleveland as a starter before his career was interrupted by the ligament problem in his elbow.

"If Tallet goes up, it will probably be out of the bullpen," said Ken Rowe, Bisons pitching coach. "They want him to get a lot of innings here and throw a lot of pitches."

Coming out of the 'pen is fine by Tallet. He just wants to pitch.

"They told me they still see me as a starter, (and) they see me as a reliever," he said. "They just haven't figured out what they want to do with me yet. I simply told them, "I don't really care.' It doesn't matter to me, I'll do whatever. Whatever I can do to help make the team better."

Then again . . .

"I love starting," he said. "You can set the tone for the game, and you basically get to control the game from the start until whenever you're done."

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Nice :thumb:

3. BigJ31

BigJ31 Founding Member

Where is Trey Hodges at these days?

4. tirk

twins optioned him to minor league camp recently. no clue why he's so far down after once spot-starting with the braves.

maybe an injury.

5. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

mvp baseball 2004 I got brian tallet up to the majors and he won the cy young for me... and I simulated a lot of his starts... made me so happy...
    todd walker also won the batting title... a year after his big postseason with the red sox... not a surprise.

6. LSUfan4life

LSUfan4life Founding Member

is there a website where u can find out where all the former tiger ball players are playing these days?

7. cajdav1

LSUsports has a listing of major and minor leaguers but I have a feeling it is not updated correctly on all of the minor leaguers.

8. tirk

you'll just have to trust my vast knowledge of nothing.

9. tirk

brian tallet gave up no runs and no hits last night.

Thursday's4:05 p.m. game between the Buffalo Bisons and Richmond Braves at Dunn Tire Park has been postponed due to rain. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Friday, April 8 with the first game beginning at 5:05 p.m. The teams will play two seven-inning games at that time.

10. cajdav1

It's better than trusting the LSU site.