Can somebody PLEASE tell me--

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MiketheTiger69, Feb 2, 2004.

1. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Can somebody please tell me what the hell happens to these hot shot high school kids, especially guards, who shoot lights out in high school and when they get to LSU they can't shoot it into the ocean? I have noticed this since Dale Brown was here. You get guys like Jordy Hultberg, Willie Sims. Torris Bright, Antonio Hudson, etc., etc. who come here as shooters and then they can't shoot for s*&t!! What gives?
    I notice John Brady, who I like, is just like Daddy Dale in that he almost insists on trying to get the ball in close and makes the players pass and pass while giving up good looks at the basket from the perimeter. Then when the guards do take shots, it's like they have lost the ability to put it in the hole. This has cost us some games, the Sweet 16 game against Wisconsin comes to mind.
    Please somebody explain this if you can!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

2. RCD IV

RCD IV Founding Member

Chris Jackson had a decent shot...

But seriously, you are right. I wondered the same thing about Torris Bright. He never did develop into the scoring threat that we all expected. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Tack Minor. If he is a shooter, then he should be a shooter NOW.

Antonio Hudson is another mystery. He almost single handedly caused us to lose the last couple of games. This guy has lost all resemblance of confidence. I like the idea of bringing him in off the bench, like we did against Bama.

I'm sure that when these guys were in high school, they were never defended by opposition that were as tall, and as good as they were, but somethings got to give. It looks like the Tigers are starting to wake up. There's still hope!

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

CJ was special and DD knew not to mess with him. That's why I didn't include him in my question.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

4. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

The worst example of that was Jamie Brandon. He was a Parade All American that was considered to be the best/purest shooter in high school. I've heard that Dale paid A LOT to get him down to B.R. to be a shooter so that other teams couldn't put four people down on Shaq.

When he got here, he was an AVERAGE shooter at best. He'd have a decent game or two. He was also 2nd or 3rd team All SEC by the time he left. BUT, he never lived up to his hype, AND, he did NOTHING to alleviate the quadruple teams on Shaq.

5. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

I agree, Chris Jackson

was in a league all by himself and I'll never care what anybody says...........he was the best damned shooter I have EVER seen.

I think it's just like any other sport........some guys come with a bunch of hype and never develop into the kind of player everybody thought they would. You take Tack Minor......he may be a great player for LSU but he may never match the hype. He's scoring 70 points in high school in stuff but that doesn't mean much. What was the competition like ya know? He was a man among boys in high school. But in college, and even to an astronomical level in the pros, hell everybody can dribble, shoot, defend. These guys don't look as good against better competition.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I remember reading about a kid named Greg Procell, once scored a 100 points in a high school game in Louisiana, guess he never even made it to D-1. Think he still holds the LA record for most points in a game.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Torris Bright was a great shooter during his time at LSU. He is LSU's alltime leader for 3 pointers made. For his career he shot 39% from 3 point territory and 44% from the field. I would bet that if you compare that with the 'best shooting' guards in college basketball during his time he would stack up pretty even.

Problem is, you don't remember how good he was because he had a coach that wouldn't let him jack up the ball 20-25 times a game. Chris Jackson had free reign from Dale Brown when he played. FYI he shot 47% from the field and 37% from 3 point range.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'd kill for a guy that could shot 47% right now.