Can someone explain how the recruiting classes are ranked?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxgirl80, Jan 29, 2005.

1. geauxgirl80

geauxgirl80 Freshman

I'm confused. I checked and LSU has one of the highest star ratings (almost 3.7) and is not in the top 20 recruiting classes. I don't think they have alot of scholarships to give this year. Is it all based on the number of recruits?

:geauxtigs

2. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

The reason they are not higher is because they only have like 9 commits. If you look at all the other teams they have alot more.

3. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

The star rating is based on the quality of the recruits. The rest is based on the overall class, such as filling deficiencies caused by graduation or attrition.

4. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

It's retarded. People act as if the recruiting class ranking actually means something, like, we WON the recruiting national championship this year! Rankings mean nothing until the kid comes to school and suits up w/ the big boys. Some make it, some don't. Ever heard of Lou Ernst? Mark Ippolito? Eddie Jacobs? Roger Hutchinson? Mark Pettaway? Nate Gates? Eric Ellington? John Hazard? There's plenty more (Sean Merrill? Pharis Hodges?) These were all LSU recruits over the years who were rated all-world coming out of HS and fizzled, to varying degrees, at LSU.

The best way to recruit is to hold summer camps and get to know kids there, and offer them at the camp.

Recruiting class rankings are all paper mirages, they mean nothing.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I believe there is a direct correlation between top recruiting classes and the top programs. I don't put much stock into being #1 in recruiting, but if you consistently have top 10 recruiting classes, you'll probably be competing for your conference title and possibly the MNC.

LSU is proof of that over the last 4 years...

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Could not have said it better myself. If you are in the top 20 or so every year you will have one heck of a program and the wins will follow. The best thing about the recruiting is that you can bring in several players at each position, you miss on a few and hit on a few. Anyone who doesn't equate recruiting with wins and losses doesn't see the whole picture.

LSU's class is somewhat disturbing to me because of the lack of any bigtime players at this point since Miles took the job. Hopefully that will change in the next 4 days.

7. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

There is certainly a correlation, I didn't mean to imply there wasn't. However, scientifically ranking classes, based on player stars or whatever ... way overblown. One yr Curley Hallman recruited like the top 5 RBs in 5 different states, we know how well they, and he, panned out. The recruits need to be academically eligible. They need to maintain that eligibility once they enroll. Some kids have the drive to do what it takes to excel, some try to live off their HS press clippings and never pan out. It's a crap shoot. True, the more higher rated players you sign, the more are likely to pan out. And it's true there's no substitute for size and speed. But personally, I'll take a healthy dose of "character kids" anytime, whether they're 1 star or 2 stars or no stars (Toby Caston, Ron Sancho, Todd McClure, Okie Woods, Sean Cangelosi, Jimmy Williams) This is the kind of kid who will do his school work and stay eligible, and give it his all on the field, and won't be a disciplinary problem. Of course, if you get a kid like that who also happens to be fabulously talented (see Michael Clayton) then there's nothing wrong w/ that.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

These guys had talent as well as character. I'll take em like that, you can keep the untalented ones. A coach ends up being a special assisitant to a high school athletics director in a couple of years if he values character instead of talent when deciding who ot recruit.

9. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

While they may mean nothing more than constructive speculation, they certainly mean big bucks to the people who collect money from fans who are willing to pay for their services.

More hype means more cash flow... Its a business that thrives on controversy and speculation.

10. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

My only conern with this years class is the fact that we only have 8 commitments to date. I don't care if we only have fifteen scholarships to give, we need to sign at least 15 maybe more as some players will leave due to coaching change and other various personal reasons. I hope Miles picks the number of recruits up to 15 at least by signing day. So far not impressive recruiting of players or coaches by Miles.