Can we finally acknowledge that Crowton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Oct 11, 2010.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

needs an experienced, mature QB to run his offense? We saw looks this weekend that we've never seen --- in particular, the formation with Ware as fullback in the I then he splits out wide, and a tight end leaves the line to go wide as well.

I think it's no accident that LSU has put up 400+ and 350+ in the last two games.

"I know this playbook like the back of my hand." -- Jarrett Lee

"What's that play again?" -- Jordan Jefferson

2 people like this.
  2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

That has always been a given with Crowton's offenses. The real test for Crowton and Lee is going to come when opposing coaches study film, and analyze and adjust to the dual-QB system. That is still very much a work in progress, but in the 4th quarter against Florida the playcalling once again became predictable when Jefferson came in and Florida was able to stuff those runs on 1st and 2nd down.

We also really need to figure out a way to get Shepard in open space. Florida plugged up just about every play where he got the ball. The dual QB plan is definitely an improvement, but the key will be seeing how the system evolves to maximize both QBs' talents, as well as how quickly teams figure it out and gameplan around it. Once we get to Bama that scheme--and Lee's readiness--will really be put to the test.

3. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

He's done a lot better than he usually does, but he still got to predictable with the ridley up the gut twice convert 3rd and long, ridley up the gut twice convert 3rd and long.
    This wouldn't be a problem if ridley up the gut had continued working, but it stopped working once florida realized that's what LSU was going to do every 1st down and most every 2nd down, but I wouldn't be suprised if miles had something to do with this, since that sounds more milesy than GC like

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

We can't complain about a ball control offense until we lose a game because of it. Shouldn't really have to say any more than that.

Do YOU want to give UF the ball back with 1:35 to go in the game tied at 29?

5. DAPeltier

DAPeltier Freshman

I am in the frame of mind we need a real offensive coordinator for LSU ... Crowton is too predictable ...

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Nice first post Les Miles.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Who did that?

8. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I honestly do see where people are coming from with the predictability on offense. We need to mix up our 1st and 2nd down plays with a few throws to keep the defenses honest.

But looking at the numbers from the Florida game I think the game plan was solid. LSU ran 72 plays compared to Florida's 55. They also controlled ToP 34:08 to 25:52. The problem with the run wasn't until the 4th quarter when Miles got way too conservative with the offense.

However, even that you can make an argument was the right decision at the time. You have a top ranking defense that's shut down the opposing team's offense all night. You're in the fourth quarter, you play the odds, and if not for a busted coverage on a return it wouldn't have mattered.

I think we all agree that the offense still needs to improve and get better, but that will take time. JLee's still only passed 36 times on the season. They've already shown a few new things with him in the game, as he takes on a bigger role I'm sure they will show more new formations.

Also, when is Crowton going to bring back the pistol?

9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

We went through different offensive plans. In the first half we were fairly agressive. In the third quarter for a couple of series you could tell we were trying to ice the game. We were fairly predictable. But we did go for long strikes with both quarterbacks. And we didn't run the GD, MF, Kiss My Ass pitch option. Yea!!!:hihi:

10. roynav

roynav free your mind

I said after the Tennessee game that not only was I not blaming Les, I'm not even sure I blame Crowton (not sure I dont either! On the fence.) Pointed out he's not had a QB to work with since 2007 and that the lack of a quality QB would whack any coach in the land. Look at the "genius" Urban Meyer....fans up in arms this year. Booing the team. No more Tebow. Suddenly Meyer isnt such a genius and got out-maneuvered by "dummy" Les Miles.

Bad QB....bad offense? Go figure.