Can we finally acknowledge that Crowton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Oct 11, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I realized that midway through the 3rd quarter and bit my tongue the rest of the way trying not to jinx it.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That is a false perception of what actually happened.

On the first drive we got a first down by throwing 15 yards to Toliver. The next set of downs we ran for another first down and got called for a bogus holding penalty. That unfortunately set us back and we attempted a pass on 3rd and 5 and got sacked. We were definitely not playing it safe on that drive.

The next drive resulted in a touchdown that by all appearances put the game comfortably away with the way our defense was playing. Unfortunately we allowed a kickoff return for a TD and probably Florida's only avenue to get themselves back into the game. That drive included a 12 yard pass completion to DPeterson on 3rd and 6.

There was nothing conservative going on in the 3rd quarter.

The only series you can question is the first one of the 4th quarter after Florida got it to 26-21. We ran twice and then on 3rd and 7, threw short for only 5 yards. But we did throw to try to keep the chains moving.

The next series had the 29 yard pass play to Randle by JJ. Then we went deep for the kill shot the very next play and Randle was double covered on the play. That was about as aggressive as you will see any play calling when a team is ahead in the game.

So let's lay that conservative talk to rest.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

You realize Jefferson had a good game too right?

7/10 100 yds. plus 42 yards on the ground.

It was a team effort.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

He had about 5 busted plays and had to waste 2 timeouts cause he didn't know what the F was going on.

Regardless, you are correct in that he played better Saturday than in the past 3 weeks.

5. phildman

phildman Founding Member

Would a play like Jefferson running up to the right, then stopping and pitching it back to Sheppard, who runs it to the left be a good play to get Sheppard some space, or just another stop in the backfield?:milesmic:

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I approve this play.

We've also used a play in goalline in recent years when we faked a dive up the middle and quick pitched outside. Keilland Williams scored a bunch of touchdowns on this play. It could be useful going to Shepard, and not just on goalline, especially if it starts with a fake to Ridley.

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

After 3-4 years in the system, both QBs should have the experience. The maturity? That's a different story altogether. I get what you're saying and agree.

8. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

JJ in the shotgun with Shepard next to him. He hands off to Shepard as Shepard runs in front of him. Then JJ steps up to block and Shepard steps back and throws a pass to the TE for the score...

9. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

And that was when EVERYONE expected us to get conservative. We probably should have been since we were just outside of FG range. That FG would have put us up by 8. Man, I was NOT happy with that play call. But I tend to be conservative and like 3 yards in a cloud of mist (it is humid in the South East after all :) ). Yep, that conservative talk needs to be laid to rest.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PehMP3tPvMA]YouTube - LSU BCS National Championship highlights (HQ)[/ame]

watch the Ohio State game footage. I saw us use the play where we look to the right then throw back left to the tight end in the Florida game or was it Tennessee? Regardless it didn't work.

The plays we are running in that game look nothing like anything we have been doing, so, I agree with original poster. When we have a guy who knows the playbook, and another guy who can come in and run the ball, and throw every now and then, this offense is DANGEROUS!!!

Lets see how well Crow and Miles can do now that we finally have the debacle at QB figured out for now.