Coach Payton tore a page out of Les Miles' book..

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 8, 2010.

1. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

This is exactly why Payton did it. If the Colts had scored a TD to start the 3rd QTR we would have been in big big trouble, being down 17-6. We would have needed at least 2 stops just to get back into the game....

Great call coach!!!

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

and then the colts would have been looking for a play like that.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Mannings face as he watched on the sidelines was priceless, and pretty much summed up the rest of the game for the Colts.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i dont think that has much merit although I heard steve young mention it in the postgame.

the colts didnt even have a first down in the 2nd qtr. why are people saying if they go down and score to open the half?

you dont just assume that.

better question is what are the odds they score if you dont recover your onside kick?

its much greater when getting the ball at your 40. not so much at their 20.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Do or do not there is no try padawan. The Colts only had 2 possessions in the 2nd quarter, and plus Manning has that reputation of coming out of halftime and scoring. One possession was ended when Peyton kind of over threw the slant route to Garcon, and the other was them doing the 3 straight runs. The Colts played scared if you ask me, but I was saying during the game that the Saints needs to come out and onside kick it just to keep the ball out of Peyton's hands.

I see what you are trying to say though, and its valid, because the Saints defense isn't getting nearly enough credit. And to back you up, Brees and a few other guys said that they were going to onside kick the ball at some point in the game anyway.

6. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i agree.

i also think that if the same thing happens in a NC game for LSU the comparison is payton is a genius, miles is crazy and got lucky.

but going back to your point, i would've been ok with it either way, i was ok with the onsides against ole miss, it didn't work out, you move on after a gamble.

same on the SB, you study for tendencies and practice that scenario. the players executed = genius.
    payton even said they made him look good.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

im fine with it as well but you know the general consensus turns it into an idiot argument only when it fails unless of course, its the hoodie.

the two worst calls regardless outcome for me are the fake punt against Az St. I dont care who or what look they saw, whatever. crazy bad call.

bill belichick's decision to go for it on 4th against indi. actually im still in disbelief he went for this. this has to be #1 for me. I thought I had the downs mixed up. my mouth was open for the rest of the game. and long after. stunned i tell you. all the pundits after saying it was a great call (only b/c they want to pretend they are co-genius with the hoodie) is complete crap. that call was unforgivable in that situation. its going to be hard to top that one for me.

but like you i dont say its great if it works or terrible if it doesnt. im usually ok given a situation. aggression is usually better. i usually trust payton on everything but reverses (usually short side of field and close to the endzone?) and 4th and 1 calls seem to be his achilles heel. maybe tebortion can help us there.

i almost always agree in running for it 3 downs (2nd 3rd &4th) if you have the ball on their 1. just not offtackle. you commit once you get there and if they can stop you from getting 3 feet on 3 plays good for you.

yet 7 times out of 10 belichick, payton and peyton seem to throw the ball from the one and they are the three most successful teams of late so that shows what i know.

8. mean machine

mean machine Founding Member

I wish Miles would tear a page out of Payton's book and base his lineup on ability rather than seniority.

9. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

:( are we supposed to be drafting tebow??

i'd take him as a 7th rd fullback i guess.

plus, he'll have plenty to do in the offseason what with handing out pamphlets on bourbon street next to a giant wooden cross.

1 person likes this.
  10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched