Cocks site gone

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBayouBengals, Nov 20, 2004.

1. I was just saying in a thread on here the other day that I have always liked visiting the South Carolina site in the rivals links. Looks like it no longer exists, I guess I wont be hearing their opinion on the coming of Steve. :confused:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I am sure it's temporary.

Try again tomorrow. It will probably work then.

They are probably renovating their web site with Spurrier sh!t all over it.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Off topic, but this is a good article taken from the SC site:

SPORTS COMMENTARY: MIKE BIANCHI

Gator nightmare: Spurrier to S.C.
    Ol' ballcoach primed to haunt ex-school
    Mike Bianchi

November 19, 2004

You know what will be even more entertaining than a homesick Steve Spurrier returning to coaching and leading the Florida Gators back to national prominence?

A spurned Steve Spurrier returning to coaching and trying to bury the Florida Gators beneath a barrage of touchdowns -- and putdowns.

I can just see it now: The Visor rolls into Gainesville, coaches South Carolina to a 56-14 fourth-quarter lead, and then tacks on a late touchdown to make it 63-14.

"Maybe ol' President Bernie will remember me now," Spurrier, the cockiest Gamecock of them all, will chide in his postgame news conference.

Then he'll turn to his old buddy, longtime University of Florida publicist Norm Carlson, and say, "Normie told me nobody's ever scored 60 here in the Swamp before. Isn't that right, Normie?"

Then will come the part that will never sound quite right to Florida fans: "God smiled on the Gamecocks today."

It's all but official now: Steve Spurrier is about to replace Lou Holtz as the next coach of South Carolina, and UF President Bernie Machen's inbox is about to become very cluttered. Not only that, but the man Machen hires as Florida's new football coach will now be confronted with an even more daunting task than the one Ron Zook faced.

Zook only had to worry about succeeding Spurrier; the new coach will have to succeed against him. If Urban Meyer is the new coach at Florida -- and I believe there's a 99.9 percent chance he will be after Machen's so-called exhaustive search -- think of the pressure Meyer will face in Year 1. He'll be expected to compete for the national title with all of the great recruiting classes Zook left behind. He'll be expected to beat Tennessee, beat Georgia, beat Florida State.

And he'd better beat Spurrier.

I love it. This is going to be an absolute blast. Bernie's boy -- the young Meyer -- matching offensive wits with the ol' ballcoach. Last one to the SEC Championship game is a rotten egg.

Some Gators already are calling Spurrier a traitor if he ends up a Gamecock. This is ridiculous. The Gators could have had him if they wanted him; if they really wanted him. But, of course, Machen wanted Spurrier to go through an interview process and jump through hoops just for a chance at the job. In reality, it should have been the Gators who jumped through hoops just to get him to take the job.

Doesn't it seem a bit twisted that South Carolina treated Spurrier the way Florida should have treated him?

Why is it that Spurrier would have to take a number at the deli counter and stand in line at Florida -- the school he put on the map -- but South Carolina is breathlessly waiting to hire him based solely on what he did at Florida?

And doesn't it seem strange now that Florida fired its coach midseason and still wouldn't offer Spurrier the job, but South Carolina has a legendary coach (Lou Holtz) who remains employed yet still offered Spurrier the job?

And doesn't it seem illogical that South Carolina apparently has already found its new football coach while Florida -- wink, wink -- supposedly hasn't even started its search yet?

It seems South Carolina is treating Spurrier like a winning lotto ticket, but Florida thinks of him as a $2 scratch-off.

Then again, maybe the perceived presidential snub -- when Machen couldn't remember meeting Spurrier a few months ago at an SEC basketball tournament -- is just what Spurrier needs to get that old fire back. The fact is, South Carolina is almost identical to the Florida program Spurrier took over in 1990.

South Carolina is a large state university with a big stadium, a rabid following -- and little tradition. It sits in the middle of fertile recruiting ground, and there's even a built-in Bowden in the state for Spurrier to antagonize.

And the main factor why Florida became so successful under Spurrier is because he showed the school and the conference how to pass. If there is one reason the Gamecocks have underachieved all these years, it's because they've never quite mastered how to throw the football. When Steve Taneyhill is your school's quarterbacking legend, call Steve Spurrier immediately.

Spurrier going to South Carolina is going to be the best thing that's happened to SEC football since the hundred-dollar handshake.

Can you imagine the drama of Spurrier going back into Knoxville and pinching Phil Fulmer in his chubby little belly? Or the theatrics of Spurrier going Between the Hedges and tweaking all those Georgia fans again? Or, best of all, the Swamp Fox back in Gainesville trying to run up the score on the Gators and even the score with ol' Bernie and his boy, Urban.

The Urban legend against the real one.

If you're a college football fan, this is pure ecstasy.

If you're a Gator football fan, this is sheer agony.

Mike Bianchi can be reached at [email protected].