College Football Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Geaux5000, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

Anyone know why Billy Cannon isn't there? Because of the forgery thing maybe?

LSU in general only has 5 players in the Hall...this seem like a pretty low number to anyone else?

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Each player nominated must have: (1) received major first-team All-America recognition; (2) played his last intercollegiate game at least 10 years previously; (3) retired from playing professional football; and (4) proven himself worthy as a citizen after his football career, carrying the ideals of football forward into his community.

I suspect #4 is the reason he's not in the Hall.

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

If the rules are 10 years after your college career and after you've retired from the pros... then Cannon was eligible long before he got in trouble... so that is a tough one.

Alex Karras (Iowa) is in the college football hall of fame and he (with Paul Hornung) were kicked out of the NFL for a year for gambling.
    O.J.'s in the college hall of fame....

hmmm...

4. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

Billy Cannon was voted into the College Football Hall of Fame in early to mid 80's, but was not induted due to being arrested for counterfeiting; see below:

Rule 3:

While each nominee's football achievements in college are of prime consideration, his post football record as a citizen is weighed. He must have proven himself worthy as a citizen, carrying the ideals of football forward into his relations with his community and his fellow man with love if his country. Consideration may also be given for academic honors and whether or not the candidate earned a college degree.

I joined the College Football Hall of Fame this year.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Bad timing. Cannon was elected and due to be inducted the same spring that he was arrested.

But he has been a good citizen before and after that one incident and another 25 years have passed. LSU should lobby for his induction.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I just e-mailed Skip Bertman [email protected] . Lets hit him with enough requests and maybe something will happen. If something is done, it should be done with Billy Cannon's approval.

1 person likes this.
  7. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

You were inducted?

8. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

Anyone can join the College Hall of Fame as a member, so no I was not inducted. I meant to join the Hall better than ten years ago.

http://www.footballfoundation.com/NFFMember.php

I joined the College football foundation to work on a project:

I have just finished filling out the paper work to get a LSU player nominated into to the Hall, except the year he garduated Mo. Baptist (Doc has a call into his wife to get this information.)

My project is to get the following players into the Hall:
    Jerry Stovall
    Moose Stewart (this one will have to go to the committee, as the 50 year rule comes into play)
    Bert Jones
    Charles Alexander
    etc.

I will nominate 1 LSU player each of the following 6-8 years.

Remeber a player has to be an All American, and a two time AA is easier to get into the Hall.

LSU is 12 in all time wins
    LSU is 15 in all time winning percent

LSU only has 5 players in the College football Hall of Fame
    Every team above us has a min of 17 and Notre Dame's 45+ is the most of anyone school.
    The teams behind LSU have more players than LSU.

The reason is LSU has the fewest players in the Hall, is we have the fewest members of the big time schools; so join if you get a chance.

You get voting rights when they finalize the list, after the nominations go to committee.

BTW keep this on the QT about who I'm nominating; as the player this year should make the Hall hands down.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

is faneca up?

was mawae AA

10. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

No on Faneca and Mawae

As both are still playing football.

Faneca was an All American in 1997 Ap, FWAA, Walter Camp, The Football News and The Sporting News. He will make the Hall with no foreseeable problems.

Mawae never made AA, because of Curly Hallman's great coaching, he did make 1st team ALL SEC twice. Its very hard to be an AA on teams that avg 4 wins a year. Mawae is the only LSU player I have listed from the 90's that didn't make AA, that should have been an AA.

Example in the 80's these players should have been AA with year(s) listed:
    Leonard Marshall 1982
    Eric Andoslek 1986-1987
    Henry Thomas 1985