Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

College Softball

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by shane0911, Jun 6, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

So I'm having dinner in a sports bar the other night and its on the TV. I notice almost every girl up to bat adapts something of a pre bunt looking stance and then as the pitcher starts her windmill they pull the bat back and swing away.

What the hell is that all about? I first thought it may be to "show" a bunt but that clearly isn't it. It looks more like some sort of either a timing mechanism or some sort of visual aid to help locate the pitch, hell I have no idea. Maybe @uscvball can answer. Just seemed really odd to me.
    fanatic likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

Pretty much. You don't see it really with lefty's who are slappers/bunters. It's a technique that is taught at youth levels and like you said, it helps define the zone for the hitter, focus their timing, and distraction for the pitcher.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon

It has been suggested to me that most male ball players are in the 5-9 to 6-2 range, but women athletes can range from quite tall to quite short. Defining that strike zone for the umpire may be more important for women.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

Umpires all have their own strike zone. Some are very tight and others will go shoulder to low knee. And it's usually the inside/outside that will retire a batter on calls.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A baseball pitcher's fastball can range from the mid 80s to close to 100 mph. What is the average speed of a softball fastball?
  6. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Most of the pitcher's at the WCWS throw in the mid 60's.

But the reaction time is the same.

3 tenths of a second. That's right. A MLB pitcher throwing 95 MPH from 60 feet 6 inches is the same as a softball pitcher throwing 65 MPH from 43 feet.
    shane0911 likes this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Idk but for your little known facts thread, it's been said a ball can be thrown harder under hand
  8. P&G_wheelz007

I've been watching the Women's playoffs for about the last 10 years. I usually take a peak at the women's rankings when the regionals are announced. And really start watching as the Super Regionals get going.

These girls can play. I mean REALLY play.

I have noticed more scoring in the last few years. Going back 10 years ago, the game was totally dominated by Ace pitchers. A lot of games were 2-1, 1-0, etc. And you could count on the Pac-12 having 2-3 awesome teams at the WCWS.

Nowadays, the SEC is sending 2-3 teams, and Oklahoma has been stout too.

Their game has become more popular and there is more parody now, than 10 years ago.
  9. P&G_wheelz007

Not necessarily harder. But a woman can throw 120 pitches in a 7 inning game on Friday night. Then come back and do it again on Saturday as well.

It's more about keeping their lower-body fit and injury free.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  10. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

Movement is key. It's completely different when a ball can sink or rise. Plus a baseball pitcher eventually shows the ball before release. Almost all softball pitchers mask the ball with a backside release.