Colorado Female Player Allegedly Raped by Teammate

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I wonder just how many men would tell if they had just been bent over against their will?

2. BB

BB Founding Member

You gave women, at least the ones who think about competing with men in athletics, a glimmer of hope and then destroyed it 4 years after the fact - nice job Katie - coaches will now be lining up to give women a shot. If it was such a bad experience, why didn't you say anything when it happened? Your purse wasn't stolen, you were raped and you didn't say anything until now. Too late - Go away and stay out of the media.

3. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

She just admitted to getting raped you moron. It's not exactly a time to be commenting on her kicking ability.

What in the hell is wrong with you people? The girl comes out and admits she got raped and you berate her like she's done something wrong! What if that was your sisted, mom, wife, etc..
    How would you feel? There's a chance that she's making it up, but what if she's not? I haven't been this pissed off in a while.
    Out of all these posts, only Bayou Bengal's wasn't negative towards her. He made good points. The rest of you need to grow up.

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I don't know if she is telling the truth or not but it's not my place right now to decide that. A lot of people don't understand the pshycology behind the act of rape. I don't know the exact number but a good number of cases go unreported as the woman just wants to forget about it and shut it out. If she comes forward with it she must deal with it on a very public front. One thing I dont doubt is there were lewd remarks made towards her. I would not be surprised at all if some of the players made inappropriate comments, you have to remember the team is made up of guys from every walk of life and are only 18 to 22 years old for the most part. Many of those guys haven't matured and have always been allowed to do as they please. I know it is hard to beleive that if something that terrible happens that you keep it to yourself for 4 years, beleive me, it happens often. Could she be lieing sure that possible, but only Katie knows for sure.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Had the walk on kicker been a guy, and couldn't kick worth a lick, do you think he wouldn't have said the same thing?? If the player can't kick worth a crap--or is so inconsistant, then why can't a coach say that? What?! Just cause she's a girl it means that she can't have any critics?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it would've been a guy he would've got kicked off the team a lot
    sooner, If Gary Barnett would've kicked her off the team because
    she didn't make the team or couldn't kick sooner than he did.

He would've been called a sexist......

He was in a NO WIN situation..

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

2 issues here:

1. some woman may have been raped.

2. woman should never be on team. women dont belong in men's contact sports. first, she apparently cant kick and second, i would feel uncomfortable laying her out in an open field block if i had to. its just stupid that she was anywhere near the team.

i know it makes me look like an asshole to say that i this idiot woman should have not been fooling around with this football team, but she shouldnt have. she probably had some agenda or something to prove.

of course i recognize rape is a serious thing and has nothing to do with football blah blah.

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I totally agree with you Martin:D

Gary Barnett just made a statement giving an apology for his statement yesterday...

He wanted her on his team..... and said he will be a team player
    and accept what the president has done tonight although
    he doesn't agree with it.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Supposedly since Knida was a recruit by Neuheisel from the previous year, Barnett wanted nothing to do with her.

There were allegations that footballs were thrown at her head when she was practicing kicks and that she was groped while in the huddle. One train of thought was that Barnett told his players to do whatever it took to get her to leave the team, and that he looked the other way when these incidents happened.

She did not want to get kicked off the team so she kept her mouth shut. I think Bob Ley talked to someone last night, a reporter, who had a long 3 hour conversation with Knida and he was convinced that the rape had occurred. He indicated she was distraught during most of the interview and frequently broke down and cried. She indicated that she was depressed for 2 years following the incident. She also said that she only came out with it now because the other allegations that had just come out against Colorado made her relive the rape over again.

So I believe the rape took place. As far as whether Barnett or anyone within the administration of the university knew, that we will likely never know. Especially now that she states that she will not be pressing charges against anyone.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Barnett's comments earlier about Knida were stupid and self-serving. To actually go out to the media and talk badly about this girl's skills when the actual issue was whether she got raped and if so who knew about it, makes Barnett look idiotic.

And on top of that, the president of the university is a woman!

Ok, Gary, you are double stupid!

He deserved what he got today.

10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

A few points,

1) If Barnett was so uncomfortable with Knida and having a woman on the team, he could have cut her, instead of having to deal with the "distraction." If she was as bad as he says she was, he could have just cut her without any liability, if he was willing to cut five or six other equally sucky male players in the process.

2) Knida probably kept quiet about the rape because she didn't want to hurt the team or give Barnett an excuse to kick her off the team. That tells me Barnett had helped create or let develop such a hostile atmosphere to Knida and toward women in general in the CU program that Knida honestly felt that she could not get redress on this issue without endangering her roster spot and kicking up a huge fuss.

3) If true, this possibly signifies a larger pattern of sexual misconduct and a tolerant attitude toward sexual misconduct in the CU football program, even to the point where CU football players and recruits were told they could rape women literally at will without any consequences. If so, this is inexcusable.

4) I would be willing to give Knida the benefit of the doubt. She's not filing charges or a lawsuit. Why would she come forward now? What does she have to gain from this, especially after doing so well for herself at New Mexico? It would probably have been much easier for her to just go on with her life and let sleeping dogs lie. She's opened herself up for all kinds of negative attention, and for what? Certainly not for attention; she had that to begin with. Most of us wouldn't want to be known for something like this.

Boy, this is some serious crap at Colorado. I'm starting to hear the words "death penalty" thrown around. At best, this will be a Baylor basketball type scandal which will leave the program tainted and devastated for years to come.