Colorado Female Player Allegedly Raped by Teammate

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Feb 18, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is my impression that Barnett and his Colorado team never wanted her on the team, but were pressured to accept her. Harrassment ensued to get her to quit or transfer which definitely included verbal abuse and players exposing themselves to her and possibly included rape.

I'm not surprised that she did not speak out at the time for three reasons:

1. She had no one to back her story up against dozens of players.
    2. She was trying to transfer to a more accomodating school and did not want to be labeled as a whistle-blower.
    3. She wanted to kick the football in the NCAA, rather than be a feminist poster child.

She is now happy at New Mexico where her coaches and teammates have welcomed her attempts to try to compete. She is a part of the team and scored the first point by a woman in NCAA football history there.

Now that the stories of the sexual misconduct at Colorado is public she can go on the record with that corraborative testimony to support her claims. I think she also wants to support the other women who were exploited by the Colorado football team. She is now with a supportive team and no longer has to worry about a reputation as a whistle-blower hurting her chances to transfer.

I believe her.

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I did not know sports wer Equal opportunity emloyeers. If HE did not want her on the team why didn't he cut her.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'd like to weigh in on the subject as a woman.

First of all, it would not be easy, fun, or self-serving to accuse a man of rape. It would be humiliating, as would the act, itself. For some reason, there are women out there who do lie about it (I knew one while I was at LSU.) I guess their need for attention just outweighs all of the negatives in the situation.

Secondly, this should be yet another wake-up call for guys in referencing casual encounters with women. If you aren't in a relationship with a woman, lay off--literally! If you are involved with a woman, you'll know if it's okay with her. Otherwise, don't be so sure.

Third, as a woman who loves football an incredible amount and would've loved to have played it had I been born a man, let me say: it's not a woman's sport. If women started playing football, the quality of competition would go down. Watching football is my favorite pastime, I'd have made a he11 of a player if I'd been a man because I'm tough, but I'm a woman, so I watch it. That honestly doesn't bother me. So, I was a cheerleader in high school, instead of on the team. I loved it anyway.

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

The difference is that in the football field she is a player, and gender shouldn't impact whether or not a player gets pancaked. If she was a punter I would expect her to have to have her head on a swivel after kicks, just like all other punters.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'd like to weigh in on the subject as a woman.

First of all, it would not be easy, fun, or self-serving to accuse a man of rape. It would be humiliating, as would the act, itself. For some reason, there are women out there who do lie about it (I knew one while I was at LSU.) I guess their need for attention just outweighs all of the negatives in the situation.

Secondly, this should be yet another wake-up call for guys in referencing casual encounters with women. If you aren't in a relationship with a woman, lay off--literally! If you are involved with a woman, you'll know if it's okay with her. Otherwise, don't be so sure.

Third, as a woman who loves football an incredible amount and would've loved to have played it had I been born a man, let me say: it's not a woman's sport. If women started playing football, the quality of competition would go down. Watching football is my favorite pastime, I'd have made a he11 of a player if I'd been a man because I'm tough, but I'm a woman, so I watch it. That honestly doesn't bother me. So, I was a cheerleader in high school, instead of on the team. I loved it anyway.

6. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

I think Hnida's probably telling the truth, based on the reputation of the CU program under multiple coaches. This kind of behavior has been condoned in Boulder for years.

As far as Barnett's remarks, he's an idiot of the first order. Answering allegations of rape and sexual harassment with "good football players get respect" implies she deserved it for being a lousy kicker. Barnett has a sub-.500 record as a coach--does he deserve the same treatment?

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

tell?

Dadgum good question. One never knows until it happens. Not sure I would tell....but would more than likely KILL if I knew the perp. And by the way.....she could be a whore, she could be someone who gave one dollar bj's for what it's worth. She could be Ms. America, who happens to live next door to you, she could let you rub and squeeze all she wants to. At the last second, if she says NO and you proceed, YOU ARE A RAPIST.

8. BB

BB Founding Member

Re: tell?

All this time and I never even knew that Ms. America lived next door to me...

9. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Re: Re: tell?

your reply doesn't bother me. But I bet you didn't make friends with a lot of the ladies on this board.

10. BB

BB Founding Member

I'm glad my joke didn't bother you!? I come here all the time to meet women.