Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Comparing Atlanta vs. Chicago black communities

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, May 28, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

One of the things that comes to mind when thinking about Chicago and Atlanta are their black communities. How are they similar and how are they different?

Chicago has the influence of Obama and Oprah and I would guess more black political (and business?) leaders. Atlanta has the huge hip hop influence and more of a Dirty South reputation. How have policies such as gun control (i.e. Chicago more liberal) impacted the evolution of black communties in each city? How does poverty in predominately black neighborhoods compare between ATL and CHI?
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

#1 I don't know if any of us are qualified to comment accurately

#2 see the Bomani Jones comments in the Clippers owner thread
    tirk likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Occupy the BCS

Imma hope the OP is of African American descent.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Imma bet he aint
  5. islstl

islstl Occupy the BCS

I guess we should all start to write our essays, then.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The members of the black community in Chicago who play for the Bulls are generally better players than those members of the black community in Atlanta who play for the Hawks. The members of the black communities of both Chicago and Atlanta who play for the Bears and the Falcons are generally pretty equally mediocre.
  7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

inner city is inner city. pawn shops. liquor stores, hand to hand drug deals and corrupt politicians. only the names change.
  8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

Chicago inner cities are mainly about stupidity, if you wear your hat to the right or left you can get shot. Like someone said there is enough high power black influence in Chicago for these people to get their shit together. Chicago in the past has been the epicenter of black self sufficiency, if you want to agree with the tactics or not, the original black panthers did great things in that community before being infiltrated by the FBI and rogue members bent on violence.

Atlanta inner city is truly about the struggle, however now its over shadowed by the hiphop community with the quest for material things. Atlanta is the black mecca of America in a sense, its so much opportunity for an educated or ambitious black person. But the inner city is about as Tirk said, hand to hand drug sales trying to get fast money, etc. Atlanta has always had a lot of promise for black people, its truly different from Chicago.
  9. locoguano

locoguano Fear the Beard.

Chicago, being in the North, is a much more enlightened city. They had no need for desegregation of their schools nor in their highly unionized industries. Blacks in Chicago can always expect a high level of educational opportunities and are welcomed with open arms into the "locals". *sarcasm*
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bullshit!