Confederate flag/racism issue at LSU persists

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Carface, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Carface

Carface What the...?

From today and yesterday's Reveille:

http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/10/4230621bb511a?in_archive=1

http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/11/42319b4b36912?in_archive=1

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You no-a play-a de hip-hop...we no-a fly-a de flag. :hihi:

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

there are a few issues that people will never act like adults about. race is near the top of the list. as soon as it comes up, some people run and cry and get offended, some others pretend they are sensitive and care about the poor offended people. only a tiny minority have anything right.

4. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I am sick and tired of the whole flag issue because most people are ignorant about it. It's like saying Muslims killed and oppressed innocent people so we should ban the Koran and anything that is used in the Muslim culture. Or that we should ban anything that is included in Christianity because of the Crusades or anything Hindu because they hate Muslims and they both kill each other. Let's take it one step further, let's ban all ethnic groups from public because members from all races have committed race crimes (which is one of the stupidest crimes there is because just because i kill someone and he happens to be black doesn't mean i killed him because he is black).

I think just to offend people I'm going to start wearing a shirt that says "I Hate *insert ethnic,religious,cultural group here*"

5. hpmcdaniel

hpmcdaniel Founding Member

Let's all face it the world is full of ignorant and stupid people. If you do not know what you are talking about, then don’t talk about it. And if you think you know what you are talking about, have the facts to back it up so you don’t look stupid. I am sure that I have done some pretty dumb things in my life. But I really try not to look or sound stupid.

What really bothers me is all of the people that think they are educated and then something stupid comes out of their mouth (or they write a letter) like the flag issue, racism or _________________ (insert what offends you). This is the twenty-first century, I think that it is time that everyone grow up, play nice and get over it. Only when you truly understand what the problems are then can you be truly be “offended”. But, then the reason you get offened is becasue someone is being ignorant or stupid about somehting they do not understand. Geaux figure. :dis:

Heather

:geauxtige

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Damn Gimp, I thought you were onto something for a minute. Then you seemed to retract it later in the post! BAN EVERYBODY!

You COULD probably get away with a shirt saying "I HATE HONKIES" or "I HATE CRACKERS" or "DOWN WITH WHITEY" since, well, you know, I guess, that's OK, since you're the oppressive race, and everybody else is downtrodden.

7. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I wonder what people would say if they saw a gimp walking around with a shirt that said "Kill all gimps"

8. Carface

Carface What the...?

Whenever I got my first truck there was a license plate holder I wanted to get that said "I hate everybody equally."

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Black folks don't like it. It offends them. It's not some looney-left reaction, either. There's a historical basis for their emotional response.

Why publicly display something that offends them?

Unless there is a historical context for the CSA flag display, such as at a monument or memorial, we shouldn't want to publicly display the CSA flag.

I'm really sad about this truth. I was raised to have respect for that flag, but the truth is the truth, and the truth is that the flag offends black folks.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I agree w/ you most of the time, Jean, but I can't go w/ you on this one.

There is nothing in the Bill of Rights that says "You have the right to not be offended."

Gangsta rap offends me...you think they're going to stop playing gangsta rap if everybody takes down their Confederate flags?

Something offends you? GET OVER IT. It ain't gonna go away just because you don't happen to like it.