Conservative Radio TV does not make psychos kill

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Radical Youth Movement, Weather Underground, Black Panther Party, Nation of Islam... all from the left end. Violent kooks sit on both sides the spectrum.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I feel the same way about Glenn Beck.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No it ain't. I and most moderates don't think that extremist pundits caused this. But I think they need to be responsible and tone down some of the martial rhetoric because they do have an influence. That's just the way it is.

4. red55

The one in question is the Sarah Palin Sniper Map. It wasn't particularly responsible and was taken down after the shooting. It was criticized when it came out for the no-terribly-subtle suggestion of the sniper scope symbols. If they were trying to symbolize targets they could have used a bullseye, which is a competitive target for archery, firearms, or darts with the connotations of accuracy.

But the crosshairs of a sniper scope have the connotation of killing.

They aren't my standards, they are the standards of decency, which we know you don't grok. I think that the media must draw some lines regarding the propriety of some of the hate rhetoric of some commentators.

What should be done to bring this about? Public shaming. People should write, blog, and speak up to advertisers that they object to hate programming. Stations should drop those commentators who go over the line. Some of them sound like Goebbels addressing the Jews.

5. red55

Yes, but not in equal numbers. List for me the political violence committed by left-wing kooks in the last 20 years. You are listing 1960's radical groups that essentially no longer exist. Extremism exists on both sides, but the violence and killings are overwhelmingly on the right.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

should musicians do the same with protest music?

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

In a word: Bullsh!t

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Crosshairs signified that those districts were targets to politic against, not potential victims of assasins. It's a valid metaphor. Anyone who saw that map and said Palin wants them to kill is nuts and there's not a damn thing anyone can to to rein them in. A box of Raisin Bran could set them off.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

correct i dont grok them. decency is subjective, therefore they are, like i said, your standards, not necessarily anyone else's.

10. red55

Possibly. If the protest suggests murder, it is over the line.

It's hard to fault the Beatles for writing Helter Skelter. They didn't advocate any killing. But Manson thought it was a message to kill.

But a song like "Cop Killer" is overt and might be over the line. Lots of people thought that it glamorized gangster cop killings.