Cooking on open fire outside?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Oct 15, 2010.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Check this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fire makes the fleur de leis and "LSU" glow. I got one but just had the initial of my last name but they can put most things on a computer generated cut-out. Made in Ag class at a local school.

I love how you can spin the grill off of the fire or adjust if the fire would happen to get too hot or if for some reason you had to run a quick errand, etc. $350.00 for the 36 inch. Mine being made is 28 inches.

Just thought it was neat and wanted to share. I know SabanFan likes to cook on a wood fire too.

I've been using one I made from 1 inch sucker rods. I made it longer than normal so I could slide my pot to the side to control heat. This is from one night last February when I was fishing with yo-yos.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Very nice. I like it. Hopefully it's not patented.

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Nice looking pit... I used to enjoy cooking in cast iron pots buried in coals when camping and fishing. Of course, sometimes space didn't allow them so I usually just dug a hole, filled it with hot coals and then put a grill grate over the top.

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

I have no expertise with patents so I'm not sure if it would stand up to the criteria but it may. I've seen a lot of "things" similar to this, as I said, with a tractor tire rim or smaller. I'm no expert though and if none were ever patented maybe it could be.

They aren't mass producing them, just "projects" for kids working on alternative degrees and a skills certificate. They're making them mostly for staff who see/like them.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Seems a bit overengineered. I use a grill like this one only a little larger

[​IMG]

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

You must've caught some real pigs that night...:wave:

7. LSUTiga

Some folks are fine with driving a Yugo; others like a Rolls.

That one is stationary and for my home, I have one I haul around when I cook in the woods. It's the one with the bacon frying.

8. wmcfer17

wmcfer17 Mr. Manageable

Here's a simple tip you need to remember always

9. LSUTiga

My father-in-law recently made me this tri pod one: I can swing the pot off of the fire. The part that the pot rests on is attached to a rod that slips in a sleeve so it rotates. Nice if the fire gets too hot or if I want to go do something and take it off the heat.

[​IMG]

Sometimes I cheat and bring pre-cooked meals like gumbo, etc. I prefer cooking but sometimes my priority is to fish. Using yo yo's, the first few hours of darkness are prime time and since I'm usually on the water a couple of hours before that it's convenient.

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

What does the top of the tripod look like? does it fold up? Got a pic? I'm guessing this would not be too difficult to make. Is there anything you would change about it? I would like to make one for myself and would appreciate your input.

ETA: Is it made out of solid rod, or is that pipe of some sort?